Psychotic break?

Well I think that trying to contradict who suffer (of any mental illness) is always counter-productive. He/She can start stopping to trust you or at least be stressed. When I’m obsessive and the people around me try to explain me that they are only my obsessions I know they’re right but I feel misuderstood and then I feel stressed. It must be the same for the delusions.
So when you are paranoic are or aren’t you aware is just your illness?

Often when I get stressed and start having delusions, I get caught up in the moment and all my coping mechanisms and practiced ‘self-talk’ and rationalizations go right out the window and my same old delusions rule the moment. But when things calm down, I can see where I was wrong.

Yep I think to have understood. Which are your habitual delusions?

Oh, that people are against me, that everybody is a threat, people are laughing at me, that everybody is thinking of me etc.

Oh I see. But more or less how much it lasts?

Various delusions come and go depending on the situation I’m in. At work,whenever I hear someone laughing, I think they are laughing at me. I have gotten better at figuring out that I am wrong.

Lol sometimes it happens to me too…

I figure that EVERYBODY gets laughed at SOMETIMES.

Well yep but if I saw or hear people laughing while I’m walking downtown for example I think “Hey, they must be laughing at me!” And I start feeling uncomfortable. So I understand you.

I think it depends on the individual. Sometimes a person hears or sees things you can’t see. There are delusions and paranoia. It can be very frightening to the individual. Try googling mental health intervention crisis of your city and get their telephone number and call if it is a crisis. They are prepared to help when needed. That is how I was able to get my help for my daughter with her first psychotic break from reality.

HI, I’m not SZ, but I live with my older brother who is.

When we were both younger, he had thee definite breaks that were very long, hard and very scary for him. He did end up right in hospital due to those three. I was with him during two of them. I wasn’t around for the third.

The breaks were very hard on him. He doesn’t remember everything that happened. His perception of reality during the break was vastly different then what was happening. His perception defined how he was acting and the actions he took.

Some breaks were more internal where he wouldn’t eat and wouldn’t sleep. He got hospitalized then, but it was more family private and less police chase. He just collapsed due to exhaustion and when he woke up, it was obvious he needed to be kept again. He doesn’t remember everything from those either.

He’s been med compliant for 6 years and so now his breaks are still serious and very scary and upsetting to him. But they aren’t as dramatic or as scary for me.

He’s more in control even when he’s breaking and he uses more coping tools and can talk himself out of some of the panic. There are a few quick hallucinatory panics that still happen, but he tries to stop himself, but he can’t. Those are still important, but he can pull out of them quicker then before.

He’ll exhaust himself and eventually pass out, but I can usually get him to bed before that happens. He remembers more of these past recent incidents. He tries so hard to be logical with me and listen but he’s pacing, panicking and ready to lose it. Yet at the same time there is something in his head that is fighting so hard to stay in control.

I hope this helps.

most of my breaks in them i could not tell if i was alive or dead

Thank you to all for your testimony. I see that Sz can be really scary and painful…I wish to all you guys the best!!