Schz and motivation

I’m only motivated to bathe watch tv & spend time on the internet…, I used to b a worker

I have struggled with lack of motivation at different points. For a long time all I did every day was sit in bed and surf the internet. I think a lot of it had to do with being overmedicated. When I stopped taking the meds, I became more active, but also really psychotic. Eventually I found Geodon, which has turned out to be the right med for me. I can find a balance on a low dose that keeps me functional without totally knocking me out. It took a while to get me to that point though. I had to be on a very high dose for a while, to get me stable, but then my hallucinations started fading away and I was able to lower to a maintenance dosage. I tried stopping the meds completely, but I definitely like the way I function better on this low dose. I have a job and I am in a very healthy relationship. I would have never been able to do those things on my higher doses. I thought I was just lazy, but when I lowered my meds I became productive again.

I am lucky because my psychosis can be managed by a combination of therapy and a relatively low dose of medicine. Not everyone can do this. But she is on a ton of meds, so her lack of motivation might have a lot to do with that.

It also might come from feeling like she has nothing worth fighting for in her life. I think one thing that helped me was that I moved in with a random stranger from craigslist, because I couldn’t afford anything else, and she ended up being one of my best friends. Having just one person not related to you who treats you like a real person can make a lot of difference. Maybe you can help her find a club or meetup group so she can make friends. I spent a long time believing I wasn’t worthy of interacting with “normal” people, and finally being accepted by someone was a huge blessing in my life.