The No Sleep Thread

My son doesn’t think he’s ill right now either. However, he went from the age of 15 when this started until around 26 (2 years ago) knowing that he had psychosis and the meds kept it under control. He would even tell the doctor he was increasing or decreasing his Zyprexa depending how his symptoms were, and he had long periods where his only problem was terrible social anxiety.

Now, he’s sure he is psychic, he talks to lots of celebrities, he’s been on TV shows, all kinds of things.

I leave the cigarettes alone too. As far as the pot goes, he knows he can’t have much or it can end badly. Although, I think now any pot is bad. I’ll PM you a little secret about that though. I don’t know if it would work in your case or not.

I will take any tricks or tips :slight_smile: My son seems now to know that the meds help him, but how he really feels about it, I don’t know. Since he isn’t in psychosis anymore, I don’t hear those outbursts where he used to tell me every detail of what he was hearing and feeling. Now, it’s like pulling teeth to get anything out of him about what is going on. It’s like walking on eggshells trying not to trigger him.

You would win top grades from the FTF class we took. They taught us that detailed logs like you are keeping are the answer to finding the right med combination.

My biggest struggle is that my job needs eventual perfection in the coordination between the trained parties. While I can be patient and work towards that perfection in my job, once the time comes for the execution of my training, I have to demand that perfection from all the parties. Sort of like a maestro making demands on an orchestra. I have been described as “intense” at those times, I prefer the term “focused” :wink:

Soooooo, during a crisis, like this past weekend - I can be highly critical and strongly demanding that Jeb be dealt with exactly like I need him to be dealt with, based on what has worked before and new things I want to try.

Like the relatives this weekend who couldn’t follow the simplest instructions when he wanted to make contact with them. He needed to be heard- but OH NO, they have to go off script and assure him we love him. They made themselves “unsafe” in his mind because they joined the delusion by arguing with him. I know they don’t see it as arguing, but that’s what it is to his illness.

In the middle of it this past weekend my husband tells me that if Jeb emerges from his place while he is outside he plans to yell at him to go back inside. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL HIM THAT IS THE WORST THING HE COULD DO? I have said, so many times, “just come inside and I will go out and handle it”.

Twice Jeb has gone to a major episode because his dad scared him when he was having a mild episode. Once was enough, twice was too much, three times had better not happen.

My husband got an earful of intensity for that stupid plan as did the relatives who couldn’t follow simple directions.

I think Jeb responds to me in a crisis because he worked for me for several years before he left for college. I am calm and patient, just like in training. I cannot be stirred out of that mode no matter what he says or does. Has nothing to do with our relationship, its just a bit of the training remaining inside him.

I had to learn to be calm with him too.
Low expressed emotion works best for him most of the time.

My husband is slowly coming around, but I’m constantly telling him to lower his voice & change his tone - to take it down a notch, to not say certain things in a certain way - because you can see my son start to amp up. And, he will get violent with his father because he feels very threatened by him.

It’s hard to deal with.

1 Like

We really do have a similar problem between our sons and husbands.

2 Likes

We certainly do. I can relate, my son is 25 and hubby is 52. How old is your son?

My son is 27, my husband is 46.

I think insomnia is not just an indication of an impending breakdown but also a contributing factor. Medication has never fully worked for my daughter. She’s a heavy smoker as well. For many years insomnia has been a major problem and a factor in her relapses. I tried many things until I came across glycine and that has significantly helped with sleep issues.

1 Like

Son is 35, husband is 56.

I think a good nights sleep is imperative for everyone, but especially for those suffering from mental illness. A lack of sleep exacerbates whatever issue is going on. I prefer natural remedies. For years, I’ve taken a magnesium pill two hours before bed. If I suspect I won’t sleep, I sometimes take valerian and/or melatonin. But I don’t like doing that. Valerian leaves me with a valerian hangover the next day. Can hardly force myself out of bed. Melatonin puts me to sleep, but I almost always wake up about 4 hours later, and can’t get back to sleep. I’ve tried chamomile tea before bed, and it does actually work. I was in treatment once, and the treatment technicians kept chamomile tea on hand for anyone who couldn’t sleep.

Smoking cigarettes also masks the symptoms of sleep deprivation, from my experience.

2 Likes