Third Time Inpatient In 6 Months

Your post is so helpful! My husband is a tough love kind of guy and that doesn’t really work in combination with mental illness. I have to intercede often in ways I never have before. Husband thinks I am too soft on them for discipline. I tell him as long as stuff gets done, why can’t we compromise? Why does it have to be his way or the highway? I am a big believer that these are young people with dreams and hopes and beliefs of their own and our job is to guide them to make the right decisions, not force them to buckle under our command. I want children who grow into adults who know how to make good decisions. That process doesn’t happen over night and with mental illness, you may be lucky to get there at all.

I am glad the behavior aspect isn’t in my head. I think they are too closely linked to separate. I choose to believe my daughter is doing the best she can at that moment and my job is to work with her to find better ways, either to use now or in the future. My husband has the benefit of being gone, but it’s also a handicap because I feel like I am teaching him too.

2 Likes

Does anyone else experience memory loss in their loved one? Like, for an entire day? We had a couple weird episodes recently and I am having trouble understanding them. Also she has trouble knowing the difference between things that happened recently versus longer ago. Unfortunately that makes it hard to know sometimes when things happen. Does this make sense to anyone? How do you handle? Thinking of getting her a waterproof digital watch to see if that would help her.

2 Likes

Oh she usually doesn’t know what day of the week it is either.

2 Likes

@Author_Charity_Marie -

One day my son said to me - I hope you know it’s Saturday (it was Wednesday). I hung up a calendar outside the bathroom he uses and I cross of the days as we go. I’m not sure if he looks at it but it is there.

2 Likes

Well said…
Children need to know that their parents believe in them, so they can learn to believe in themselves. How much more so when scz is involved?

You’re in a really tight spot right now.
And…you a wonderful mother who is daily investing in the health and security of the entire family.

2 Likes

I use this page.
Every day he fills out one. And yes…I have to remind him at times.

This thing was the result of years of trial and error.
I was actually thinking ahead when I started it.

I also have calendars filled with notes. BUT, they are my notes, not his. When he started taking notes, my initial goal was to teach him, over time, to manage his own condition. To be able to collect data basically and take that data to his Dr.

Instead, I found that I had an early warning system. If he can’t figure out the date (sometimes it’s months off!!!), doesn’t have enough lines for what he is worried over (really, limit it to two!!), or…

Well, it’s in his handwriting. He can’t argue about what he put, or say I’m making it up. For our son, it seems he will wait until we’re in the Dr’s office, and THEN accuse me of lying about the frequency/factuality of events. The Dr’s don’t care, as they expect this. For us, it makes for a really difficult ride home. (I can get very peeeeeeeved being called a “liar”.)

I keep them too…and I ended up with a better pattern discerning device than when I simply kept my own logs. Because, he puts stuff down that I didn’t even know was happening! (i.e. Under how I feel today: “my feet itch”…he had athletes foot. Under worried about: “when my mom dies”, and “I’m scared my mom and dad won’t want to take care of me if I can’t work”.)

Drs have said memory loss is part of this.
Wow…is it ever.

He’s back right now…clear headed and able to do school again.
And…we’re doing simple math…
again.

I have him set the timer on his phone. He loses track of time easily. He sets the timer for my stuff too, as this kept him from thinking it was a special thing for him.

A calendar above his desk…I have to maintain it. But, when he’s clear headed, I have him do it along with.

Son reports, and is adamant about this: that IF he has something constantly on the screen in front of him, he can do homework. I can’t stand it, but remain silent. Teachers have tried to remove this, to no avail. Last teacher said to let it be. After all, he’s getting his work done. Happily too.

Now…if he would not doodle all over each and every page of homework.
(It’s a little thing really. :wink:)

Edit note: please be aware that he claims he did chores…what he actually did was check to see if they were done. I did them. BUT, he does need to recognize that HIS bird requires fresh water/food. Clothes must be collected daily. Showers are DAILY. Changing clothes is a DAILY thing. He doesn’t remember that he ate, or will confuse days. As to “Notes” beside Daily Responsibilites…he claimed to brush his hair for over a week. However, he didn’t know where his hair brush was. A week later, I got a note: “Can’t do this, I don’t have a brush!” I wondered how long it would take to look (or ask) for his brush?

1 Like

I keep an Excel spreadsheet which is a timeline of her day and any issues as well as a separate symptoms log. I also keep a hallucinations guide to give to each provider. Due to Libby’s dyslexia and handwriting, she can’t really keep a journal yet.

We had an issue where Libby claimed she was brushing her teeth, only we found out her toothbrush was in a drawer in her bedroom. That was a wake-up call and one of the hygiene issues we now monitor much more closely.

@Squid Our therapist actually recommended keeping a video diary, which is a recording of any episodes, that way it’s in her own words right after it happens. I’ve been trying to do this when I can and using dropbox to store. We’ll see how effective it is.

Libby came home tonight and she’s very clear-headed again. We did some simple math and logic problems (at her request) on the way home. Then, when we asked her what a noun was… silence. Then a quiet, “I don’t remember.” followed by a “don’t judge me”, to which I always respond, “Never”. But inside, my heart breaks. Nouns were two years ago. And she knew them. I mean, she KNEW them! She was good at them. We played a game in the car identifying different parts of language - nouns, verbs, pronouns. I’m a writer so word games are my thing (can’t do math to save my life). I wanted so badly to say what it was but didn’t because I didn’t want to make her feel worse. We just quietly let it go with an “It’s okay kiddo, you’re still learning.” Inside I’m wondering, “What other gaps are there for her? What else has she lost?”

And tonight, having her home, seeing her smile, feeling her hug, just brightens me up inside, even while I struggle. We requested a residential program and her info was sent to two hospitals - one in San Antonio, another somewhere outside Austin. But now we’re left with a dilemma because she seems really stable on these meds, and has been for about 4 days. She has some coping strategies to use now (at my insistence, even though there’s “nothing wrong with her”, even Libby says that’s BS!) and so we wait. We wait to see if she starts to struggle again, watch to see if she starts to slide. There’s a place in San Antonio with some beds and they’re evaluating her case info. She has no real issues as far as behavioral stuff goes - not like other kids with legal problems, drugs, self-harm, etc. She’s a GOOD kid, with the meds. Off of them is a whole other story.

So now we ask ourselves - do we get her into a residential program to keep her long-term stable, to really help her? Or are the meds sufficient? Do we control the worst of her symptoms and try to use therapy for the rest? Is she critical enough or are the meds going to work this time? Is a residential program really where I want my 10-year-old child to be? Around all those influences and other behaviors that scare her? Can they keep her safe? Or is she better off at home and we tough it out on an outpatient basis?

2 Likes

She’s so young to be going through this. I believe it has a lot to fo with diet. Have you tried eliminating gluten, dairy and processed foids? There is a lot to be said about our diet triggering this things.
I see a big improvement with my son by eating Whole Foods

2 Likes

I’m so glad you got your daughter back home. Great joy!

It’s not diet related. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, she’s an extremely picky eater. I found out tonight why - she says sometimes things taste bad, but not all the time. So we can add olfactory hallucinations to the list.

2 Likes

We found a program in San Antonio willing to take her on a residential basis. Now we just have to get the insurance to authorize it. Fingers crossed it works. She needs a lot of help. She’s been home 24 hours and symptoms are already increasing.

2 Likes

This sounds like somebody behind a desk at an insurance company can have the power to say yes or no to providing your child with the care they need. Is it really as cruel as that?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, yes. In the US, that’s the reality. My husband and I talked about that and trust me, if they don’t allow it (it’s a benefit with our plan) then I will be throwing a fit the likes of which they’ve never seen. After four inpatient visits, she needs longer-term care to really stabilize. I cannot accept anything less. She and I talked about it last night and even though she doesn’t want to be away from us, she doesn’t want to continue like this either.

On the other side, the second facility hasn’t even contacted me yet. Which likely means they are full.

2 Likes

That is utterly appalling, how dreadful for all you folks over there in the US, so inhuman, treating people no better than cars. Shall we pay to repair this car/human or not?

Our UK National Health Service has lots of faults, if we need treatment we may have to wait for a place in a hospital, and there’s no choice about where we get treated, but at least in most cases, there’s never a question about whether or not we get the treatment … and it’s free. Well, not quite, we all pay taxes to fund it, and gladly.

4 Likes

That’s only the start of the problem. Once it’s authorized, then we have to figure out how to pay our part of it. For a residential program for her we’re looking at a minimum of $100 a day (if we are really lucky). Fortunately, we have a cap of $5,000 for out of pocket, so once we meet that it’s covered at 100% without a limit. Sadly, I’m left working with providers to figure out how to pay them because I don’t have $5,000 just sitting around. And that’s in addition to the $7,000 from her care last year. My credit is in a shambles right now because of the medical bills going to collections. $7,000 is 20% of my annual income. I’m already paying 1.5% of my income for premiums. So this year, almost 22% of my income will go to just her medical expenses. I don’t know what it’s like for you in the UK but that is a lot of money. I can possibly get a little of it back through my taxes but I probably won’t make enough to come close to getting back what I had to spend. And I make too much for federal health insurance or any kind of real assistance. In our country, mental health isn’t recognized as being a critical need as it should be.

2 Likes

Three days since she was released and she scored a 14 out of 26. She’s had 4 visual hallucinations, plus one smell and one taste hallucination. She’s also having a lot of positive and negative symptoms to go along with it. I hate this - I have no idea how to make any of this better. The coping skills aren’t really helping - she knows they’re not real now but it doesn’t stop them from being scary. It doesn’t stop her from being terrified or depressed that she’s still seeing things that aren’t there. She’s handling it all really well overall but my heart breaks for her. How much can she take before her spirit breaks?

We’ve discussed a residential program and she’s on board because she’s desperate for these things to stop, as am I. The problem is they’re completely random, without triggers. She was in the middle of a sentence when one appeared and scared the crap out of her. Watching her change from my smiling, happy girl to instantly terrified is not an experience I ever want to have again (but fear will happen again many more times in the future). She’s gained some insight thanks to the meds, but insight doesn’t really help with the fear. And I just don’t know what to do to help her. I hope we’re not heading for a fourth admission. I’m hopeful she won’t become suicidal this time.

2 Likes

Charity, these are only suggestions. My son tends to distance himself when things are bad. in the most calm voice you can muster, ask how can you help. This is hard as they pick up something that looks like it is going to get hurled. If he acts frightened of something outside, I offer to pull the blinds. Sometimes this calms him down, sometimes not so much.
I know you must be exhausted and I wish I could offer more advice. My son soaks in the tub and it relaxes him. I think for your daughter picking out some nice aromatherapy (I understand Rosemary) is good.
Since I’m a believer, I have (and will probably do again before he gets home) anointed with oil a sign of the cross all the door frames in my home.
A pastor once told me that she thought MI was mind, body and spirit and I try to help in that way. Walking in nature helps calm my son. Sometimes we go to a Catholic Church (we are Protestant) but the ritual seems to calm him.
And then there’s the medical profession that are supposed to have the answers. He is in the system and is seeing a therapist and Pdoc that want to do a team approach. That sounded good to me. We shall see. Therapy wasn’t doing much because he was not on medicine.

4 Likes

You’re right, I am exhausted. And frustrated. But still fighting. I feel so helpless when all I can do is hold her as she cries. How do you fight something that’s this invisible? I’ll be honest, I’m a believer in a higher power, I’ve experienced things that can only be explained by that, but I’m not a big believer in organized religion. No issues with others who do, it’s just not for me. And in this situation, I’m a bit angry so I’m not really connecting to that higher power right now other than to say some really angry things.

It’s good to know that I’m doing all that can reasonably be done. There’s no magic solutions, and I’m not looking for one. I guess it was just to get it off my chest and having someone validate it. Is that selfish?

Appreciate your reply, it helped!

4 Likes

Yes, anger was one of my first emotions after the sheer shock wore off. I remember asking my higher power what type of cruel joke this was to do this to my son. Today I see how much mercy and grace my son and I have received along the way. I’m less angry but often overwhelmed with sadness. I let it out and know that I am heard.
You are not being selfish. Never underestimate how important what you are doing (holding her as she cries) is. I’m sure it is painful for you but I’m so glad she has you. You will be the one telling us how you manage to do this each day. I hope her meds help her improve and she can get rid of the hallucinations. It is good that she is sharing with you, as exhausting as it must be.

4 Likes

My daughter heard voices too. She is 28 and was diagnosed 4 years ago. Nothing helped but sarcosine, it is s life changer. See brainvitaBrainvitaminz.com she doesn’t hear voices when she is taking it and does normal things. It worked so well that after a year she thought she was healed. We are trying to get her back on it now

2 Likes