Walking around house

This is how I cope with it, too. I have insight and I know the voices are just created by my brain, and not real, so I can ignore them.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) helps me cope and untangle the delusional thoughts. It was far more helpful than the drugs ever were.

1 Like

My son has no complaints , every time I mention his walking around, he will say he’s fine, he’s not annoyed or irritated by it whatsoever.

Good that you participated in CBT , we have tried with our son for years, only after a year on meds has he for the second time spoke with the psychologist , before then he was angry and saying he will never talk to anyone “they won’t win” etc, for him it’s a better life as he is home with us, whereas before, well he couldn’t be home here with us.

Hey Wes, your reply was very interesting because we have never as we have never tried CBT therapy. Do you take anti psychotic drugs with CAT therapy?

CBT is great. It changed my life for the better, and I have a great therapist, and she is there for me on a weekly basis in therapy sessions, and she has an answering service so I can reach her almost any time I need to speak to her. That is crucial. No, I stopped taking Geodon and Zoloft because of the side effects.

That’s great you,are able to see this , that’s half of the battle, you obviously have great insight, it’s getting insight to know what’s best is the hard part for our family members ,

It does sound like akathasia to me.
Was your son pacing prior to med change? AP meds have horrible side effects maybe your sons meds need a review?
My very best wishes to you & your son.

Hi, my son started pacing in the hospital a year ago on risperidone, then on paliperidone and now on zuclopenthixol. He is easily distracted though and strange it doesn’t bother him one little bit.

Catherine can I ask how do I get legal guardianship over my son? he is 30yrs old…I have power of attorney over his money…
I am thinking if I had it I could possibly make the decision to make him go on clozaril which he refuses now… All other medications don’t even come close…

1 Like

Hi, I haven’t been on here in a couple of days and I just saw this. I am not sure if it is the same process in every state, assuming you are in the U.S. I am in Ohio and I went through the county probate court, I pursued guardianship at a time when my son was very obviously delusional (about 11 years ago). He had a case manager at the time who spoke with me as to the need for me to step in and I brought letters from doctors stating it would be in my son’s best interest if I stepped in for his medical care and money management both.

The court appointed him and attorney which is his right, however because of my son’s state of mind and is delusions. The attorney could not communicate with him effectively and was pretty useless. Once the judge heard me and the case manager speak and read the doctor’s recommendations (and the court appointed doctor as well, they do ask for that usually) anyway then the judge questioned my son on how he “cares for and/or supports” himself on daily basis and he had some outlandish ideas on that, none of which made sense and in several minutes I was awarded full guardianship and whatever fees I would have had to pay to the court were waived for some reason either due to my low income or due to the fact that my son lost his case and had no job. I hope this is a little helpful. I would suggest to start by contacting your local county probate court and gathering whatever information you need to proceed. It helps a lot to have the guardianship because you can be in on every single appointment and speak directly to the doctors (some try to get around but you have to stand your ground) as for compliance, I was very fortunate that my son was compliant with his meds, He was already on disability when I got guardianship and I had a home nurse come in and help with blood draws and vitals etc…Medicaid can provide for that help if you need it and the doctor just needs to write a script for it. Anyway, let me know how things turn out for you, I really wish you well…you might have read my story…my son has been doing very well for several years on clozapine and while it isn’t for everyone it definitely was and is a godsend for my son. Take care and good luck to you.

3 Likes