We Feel So Incompetent

thanks @jmarie1067 and @myson. I haven’t heard from my son since he was admitted on Wednesday. The staff tells me he is taking the meds - an increase of Clozaril - and also taking some prn Ativan. He strained his back when swinging a chair around before admission, so I guess he is mostly keeping to his room. That’s typical in any case. I check in once or twice a day with the staff, and they tell him I am calling.

My husband had shoulder repair surgery on Thursday, so I have been focused on tending to him and catching my breath when I can.

7 Likes

Been thinking about you and wondering how your son is. I hope he’s doing better in the hospital. Sorry to hear about your husband as well. Sometimes we have a heavy load, don’t we? …hugs…

My son was discharged yesterday, so it was a short stay this time. The pdoc shifted his morning dose to the evening. I still feel it is likely lower than he needs, but as long as he takes the full amount I think he will be okay soon.

To those of you who have loved ones on Clozaril - what is the daily dose being taken? My son is on 250mg / day.

I got him for his regular bi-weekly bloodwork today, and tomorrow he has an appointment with the pdoc - his regular appointment. And Thursday he turns 27! I am going to raise the topic with him of what he might like to accomplish in the next year. I don’t have high hopes that he will propose something reasonable, but I can keep trying - cuz that’s what we do.

1 Like

Good to hear. I hope it’s enough meds and he’s feeling better very soon. This dosage thing is a hard one. So much trial and error.

Yes, it is what we do, keep on trying. I’m curious what he’ll propose for a goal. My son is usually I can’t do anything - I can’t concentrate or… I want to do these things, and they’re all over the top unreasonable - even someone well would have a hard time achieving one of them in a lifetime. There’s no in between. Ugg…

1 Like

I asked my son yesterday - given that it is his birthday, and a new year is starting soon, has he thought about a goal he might have for the next year? His response was actually pretty normal! ‘Lose weight.’

5 Likes

Vallpen, I hope things are better there. Does your son live with you?

He’s with the majority of the population at least. :wink:

2 Likes

My son lives in a house that I own. It is close to where I work, so on weekdays I am typically there at least once, often twice a day. On weekends I drive in and he will go out with me to a restaurant or coffee shop, or bookstore.

2 Likes

He wouldn’t get on the scale yesterday at the doctor’s office, I was kind of disappointed because I am pretty sure he has lost more weight.

1 Like

Do you think maybe they weighed him in the hospital? My son gets weighed every month when he goes in for his shot. But yes, that would have been a good thing for him to hear if he had lost a few pounds - good motivator.

1 Like

That’s right now I remember.

Looks like he refused to be weighed at the hospital.

1 Like

He must be feeling bad or embarrassed about his weight. I hope when they improve on these drugs, this is something that gets better. This weight gain is awful. My son was skin and bones when he started. He’s been slowly gaining weight since May and he doesn’t like it at all.

My son also was rail thin before the meds. He feels very bad about his weight. Three months ago he weighed himself at the doctor office and had lost 20 lbs, but was still furious, because he was still overweight.

I needed unscheduled dental work today - broke a filling - so at least I got a hit of nitrous oxide today - that definitely takes the edge off of my anxiety!

3 Likes

LOL. Unfortunately, you sound like me. You know you’re stressed when going in for colonoscopy sounds really nice despite everything else that goes with it, you’re going to feel just great and stress-free for a short bit! Glad you got a short reprieve!

4 Likes