When you find out the psychosis wasn't drug induced after all

Would like to chime in here on my experiences. My mom, who is an emotionally disconnected person to begin with, has all but abandoned my two sons since my younger son’s diagnosis. She quit sending birthday cards this year. (She mails them even though we live in the same town; that alone irked me. Why she couldn’t ever SEE them, have a relationship with them…but that’s another issue.) My mother-in-law, on the other hand, is somewhat in denial about my son’s illness, but still wants updates and is very loving and supportive of whatever is going on, good or bad. She’s a retired nurse, so maybe that has something to do with her being more tuned in. Anyhow, after one of my son’s violent episodes, the firemen had to come out and low and behold, one of them was our neighbor who lives behind us. He was alarmed and said he has his son and wife to think about. I didn’t have the opportunity at the time to tell him that my son would never be violent with any of the neighbors. We haven’t lived in this neighborhood that long and I’m hoping, praying that he doesn’t share with the other neighbors his feelings or we will be isolated more than we already are. I have no friends left. Those of you who are lucky enough to have friends and family who still support you and stay along for the ride, thank your lucky stars. My older son moved out of the house because of his younger brother’s violent tendencies. It is a lonely ride, at least from my perspective. I, like many of you have voiced, am so grateful for this group and each of you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

6 Likes

Back at you sister. That would irk me too but don’t worry about it or try not to. Every neighborhood has people who treat you like they are superior. MI happens and that is just a fact. It won’t be long before life throws they them a curveball.

5 Likes

Join a NaAMI famiky to family class. It’s great because everyone knows what you are going through. Been 5 years most of us still keep in contact but the best thing was to know there are people out there who understand. Good luck to you

3 Likes

Yes we are actually in one currently. We’ve had 5 classes so far. It is the ONLY room I walk into and know that people understand. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great. That’s so true. NAMI was a lifesaver for me. Good luck

3 Likes

Thanks, Linda. I will give it a try.

1 Like

I just finished the Family to Family class by NAMI.
Invaluable support and information. Maybe it will help.

1 Like

Made so many friends i family to family. Finally some people that understand your nightmare

After Family to Family we had enough information to figure out what our next steps and priorities would be - before that we were floundering.