Where are the families?

Thank you Hatty… your insight and experience will certainly be of help as this whole process is new to me…My son has allowed the professionals to speak with me in the past which is why I was told of his diagnosis of delusional schizopherenia…i am very grateful for this site and all of the wonderful friends on here that share their information and knowledge… which is part of the recovery process…

Thank you Jandan09 for your insight… my son has never been into alcohol other thatn an occasional beer at a celebration however, the marijuana use occurs all day, every day…at this time he is not in teratment but still undergoing psych evaluation at the hospital…I pray that they do not release him home as he needs a long term placement … I would have no issue with him coming home after that so long as he is med compliant and not smoking weed…ugghhh … this is so draining for me so i can imagine so much more so for him as he is the only one that can fight the fight to be well…

You are very welcome. I have found much comfort in my close Al-Anon group so I can’t help sharing. Hoping that you find as much consolation as I did working on myself when often I couldn’t work on our son. He didn’t want our help most of the time. Blessings to you and to all, Jan

As a 39 you old family member.

I am (as a schizo) very thankful for my ma’s help.

If it wasn’t for her I’d prolly be dead or worse.

The Bible says that when the signs of the end are near “run to the mountains” that’s what me and my ma are doing.

We are hardcore Christian… GOD BLESS.

**This has been a very hard and long fight! At this stage-I`m stepping back more. My son will probably never be medcompliant. He is holding his own-has his own place. I take him to do laundry and grocery once a week. We are trying to find a place where everything is right there so he can be more independent.
He also had a dual diagnosis–
I do know for sure that you really need support.
I think there were times when I could have not fought the system so hard. I should have chosen my battles more carefully. I was like a grizzley bear!

I understand how you’re feeling. I have a son with schizophrenia. He’s 35 and he got very sick at 14. I had to be a very strong advocate while he was a teenager. Everything changes as they get into the adult system. It becomes much harder to advocate for him now. In 22 years on this journey I’ve learned a lot. But the hardest lesson I’ve learned, and continue to struggle with, is stepping back and allowing him to experience natural consequences for the choices he makes. My husband and I have worked tirelessly to see that he gets what he’s needed. Compounding the difficulties are street drugs. We bought a small house for him to live in. We set up a small special needs trust so he wouldn’t live in poverty. He allowed squatters live in his yard. They introduced him to meth. Meth and paranid schizophrenia is like nitroglycerin on a runaway train. Very, very bad. Twice he hurt me and said he was going to kill me. We got him hospitalized and more help. We got him a guardian so I wouldn’t be in the middle of financial and care decisions. But the reality is he won’t give up drugs yet. He thinks
like a teenage. The social workers have insisted we take a big step back andclet him learn how to operate like an adult. I am certain they’re right but it’s very, very hard to do. My husband and I have devoted the past 22 years to I him. We’ve given up many things to do this. I’m about to retire and I want to spend time with my new grandchild. I wasn’t able to spend much time with my other grandchildren and his violence has kept them from my home. All the children live in other states.it has taken me a long time to get to a place where I can genuinely feel we deserve time to live a safe and happy life. We want to watch our grandchild grow up and be available to babysit. In another year or so we’ll sell the house and move close to my youngest granchild. I have days when I feel very, very guilty for even thinking about doing this but it’s clear my son is not uncomfortable enough to make any changes. My other sons worry all the time he’ll kill me. It’s time to put them, my grandchildren, my husband and myself first. He has an ACT team, a guardian and a trustee. I can’t do anymore and as painful as this has been I know this is the right thing for us. That sweet, gentle, smart and funny little boy has been hijacked by schizophrenia and meth. .

hi my husband also has schizophrenia and refuses to take meds i know how difficult it can be i do go to therapy but people just dont get it like us my husbands own family can’t deal with him so my prayers are with you

You really have to work to overcome those quilt feelings. I dont even know if thats possible! I`m back into therapy now-trying to find a way to have a life and still deal with this disease.
I think you are doing the right thing for your family. Hopefully your son will come around and get help for himself.

**Hi @malindaThe same with my other kids and my sons father. I know they think they understand this disease-but they have only scratched the surface.
Bless you for your prayers… **

I know I’m late responding…

This site has online Al-Anon.