16 years undiagnosed, is it too late?

Wow, you have been through much and so has your Mom! Don’t ever give up hope of finding your Mom in there. It is true that it’s better to catch it early but it doesn’t mean there is no hope after years of this. Your Mom may need to try out different meds to find the one that is right for her. I am hoping that the prescribing psychiatrist will be attentive to the responses your Mom has to the medication and will be willing to adjust if needed. My advice is to keep a journal of sorts so that when she has another appointment, you have a running list of how the medication affected her. It seems that many meds take a long time to work. I know the one my son is on took a few months before I even noticed small changes, then those changes kept increasing those positive changes over the coming year and a half. Unfortunately, they had to go through 4 different medications before finding that this one worked for him. This is a great site to get advice and support from, but I also hope that you are getting local support as well. Very difficult on the caregiver/advocate. Keep on hoping to see the Mom you know is in there. Sometimes hope is all we have, and when you get those glimpses of her, you will be inspired to push through the difficulties. All the best, we are all here for you!

4 Likes