Advocacy for Helping those with Serious Mental Illness

It makes my heart break to read all these posts. If you are not already aware, one positive note is that there ARE advocacy groups that are trying to get laws changed and educate others about the significant needs we have in the world of serious mental illness. You can follow the Treatment Advocacy Center, Mental Illness Policy Org. (DJ Jaffe), NAMI, SAMSHA (under the new director Dr. McCance-Katz), and the journalist Pete Earley who reports on these things. These organizations don’t always agree 100%, but it seems like progress is being made. The more of us that become educated to support what these organizations are doing, to write letters to our Congress persons, and become advocates ourselves, the better chances are to help our loved ones (and ourselves).

10 Likes

Another organization that looks interesting to me is NSSC - National Shattering Silence Coalition.

1 Like

I’m attending the Washington Mental Health Summit at the University of Washington on October 29. The meeting will focus on local and state wide issues such as housing, suicide prevention, mental health and workforce development, and sub sessions in the areas of mental health and the law, technology and telepsychiatry, and communication, awareness and advocacy. While not strictly legislative in focus, I’m hoping I will learn more about what help and services are available in Washington state and what is planned for the future- and where I can get involved.
My son is still hospitalized long term but I’m trying to arm myself with information about how we can help him when he is ready to transition back to the real world. Sometimes I make really good contacts at these meetings.

For more information: https://www.wamhsummit.org/2019-summit

2 Likes

I applaud you for this!!! You are planning ahead for your son’s benefit as well as advocating for ALL of us!! I’m glad your son is getting help and I you will be prepared to do what you can to help him live a meaningful life in the future!

2 Likes

How was the WAMH Summit?

There are a LOT of people here who want something different for their loved one and for themselves. If you truly want to see change, we must work together to advocate for change. I don’t know about you but MY LOVED ONE IS WORTH MY EFFORT. Our stories on this site won’t do that. Our voices must be heard in a clear and respectful way. One way to do that is through any mental health organization that is involved with advocacy. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the one with which I am most familiar. Get to know what they are doing and sign up for email advocacy alerts. NAMI makes it easy to contact your state and federal legislators at key opportunities to share YOUR story and why you support specific mental health legislation.
Advocacy | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness