Anyone had experience with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation to suppress voices?

My son’s psychiatrist is not recommending it. I suppose because he doesn’t think it works. My internet research, however, shows there’s a good chance it would help.

E.g.:

Based on our examination of the literature from the past 15 years, we conclude that the use of TMS in schizophrenia has its greatest efficacy in treating auditory hallucinations. The frequency and severity of auditory hallucinations, in particular, may be decreased by targeting low frequency TMS stimuli to Wernicke’s area in the left temporo-parietal cortex. Since 20 percent of patients with schizophrenia experience treatment-resistant auditory hallucinations,13 further studies to assess the efficacy of TMS in both inpatient and outpatient populations are merited.

Efficacy of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) in the Treatment of Schizophrenia: A Review of the Literature to Date

Efficacy of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) in the Treatment of Schizophrenia: A Review of the Literature to Date - PMC

I have also heard good reports. As far as I know, right now insurance will only cover it for depression tho.

@Vallpen, that’s the impression I get: it’s gotten the most promising reports about treating depression. Since it has zero side-effects, unlike drugs, I’d love for my son to give it a try for his audio hallucinations. There is a device called a NeuroStar, which is a TMS machine. This site shows practitioners near you: TMS Treatment For Depression | Advanced Therapy | NeuroStar TMS. But notice how all of the marketing is about depression.

We are also considering it for our daughter and psychiatrist is not recommending it. Did you try it?

No, we never tried it.