Boundaries that are reasonable

There’s no consistent experience of “inner speech” among those with or without diagnosis, and study of the phenomenon has only been recognized as important with additional study undertaken relatively recently.

While I’m glad your model of the phenomenon is helpful to you and your son and @ttt1 apparently, I frankly find your description rather hard to follow. I’m not surprised though, because I’ve found it very difficult to articulate my experiences with “voices” or explain to caregivers why delusional individuals sometimes point to imagined or real traumas allegedly inflicted by family members.

Here are some links to videos describing inner speech in general— not only in those considered as “voice hearers”. I’ve found them helpful in learning why this phenomenon is hard to explain and study. The first video’s description section has an extensive set of links to the sources of information and studies. The last video interviews a person who has no internal monologue, and abbreviated edit of this went “viral”. The person doing the interview has ADHD and is under study by researchers.

1 Like

Why is your user name maggotbrane ? That sounds internalised based around stigma. This reminds me of a user name my son once used. PHUBAR , PH referring to the letter F. Being F up beyond all recognition. I find this sad really, and it is down to the image of stigma and internalised stigma.

I agree about the alledged or imagined thoughts that come with the symptoms, bring with it. From my experience and observations even though what the person might think, the thoughts are stemmed from something from the past by the subject of these thoughts. Sometimes these thoughts come from anger or hurt, rejection they feel… over thinking. We all do it with or without schz, then the thoughts escalate, into something that may or may not be the real reason but forms an opinion. That opinion and thoughts are stored in the subconcious.
What i have said is not my “model” its based upon human nature and and the internal workings of our body. If you have a set idea in your mind about this topic, like some believe the voices are external not internal, this would be their belief which is stored in the subconcious. Its very much like the varied religious beliefs people have, where they all believe their belief is right.
Some beliefs are comforting, other beliefs can be harmful then there are beliefs that are confusing because we cant make sense of something.
Hearing voices more often than not, come with psychosis… however psychosis is not unique to schizophrenia. I used to work on a maternity ward and have witnessed on occasions a mum experiencing post partum psychosis following child birth, another lady admitted to hospital with psychosis who in the past had experienced post natal depression, after blood test was shown to be going through the menopause. Both relate to hormones that affect our mood, thoughts and brain chemicals. What we cant get away from is how our bodies work and reaction to something that is lacking or over produced internally

Per your question about my username, here’s a link explaining this choice. My user icon is also a visual reference to it.

2 Likes

Maybe people have remarked on your user name because its not quite fitting for this type of forum. Which you are probabley aware of

Hi @sasone2one

Gosh, I’m glad your explanation helps your son.

My username is hope. I didn’t capitalize it on purpose because when I joined this forum I felt I was down to just a little bit of hope for my son.

Interesting subject you have raised here, how did you come up with your username?

I came up with my username via one of my sons when i first started using a computer at the beginning of schizophrenia. Part of my username was part of his username. That son was who helped to teach me how to use a computer.

Yes my explanation has helped my son and a few others, what i have also recognised is how people with a mental health diagnosis percieve what others think of them. Which has come out in voices with my son. And how some refer to theirselves based on the same perception and stigma.

1 Like

@sasone2one, I’m glad your explanation has helped your son and a few others. I think its most helpful on the forum when members share their experiences and their knowledge. Its equally helpful when others can freely share their experiences and knowledge on the same topic.

We never know which bit of experience or advice will help whoever is reading.

I totally agree, we all have our own experiences to share and it helps to makes sense of our experiences.

2 Likes

@Maggotbrane I remain a huge fan of all of your posts. Always thoughtful and well reasoned. And thank you for taking the time to explain your artistic creativity.

We all have to use our creativity, humor (even if sometimes dark!), wisdom, and love to get through this shared experience together. Keep on being awesome!!!

3 Likes

Thank you for the links, I find it easier to listen to than to find time to read up on stuff.