Cannabis along with treatment

My son is in treatment and doing well. Voices still there but in the background Still working toward better treatment and meds. He is insisting in getting the cannabis license for supposedly ocacional use. I would like to hear about the experience of your loved ones with cannabis while also using antipsychotics. Could cannabis help? He consulted his psychiatrist who said No good.

Hi, I’m glad to hear your son is compliant. Marijuana is a drug known to cause psychosis. There is research that suggest it triggers SZ. In this illness the meds are given for this reason in addition to treating other symptoms. My son smokes and he becomes very unstable while also taking the APs. I’m praying he stops smoking weed. There are many post here about the effects of weed if you do a search. Best of luck to you and your son.

3 Likes

Did you see the post on this site about marijuana and SZ? Somehow I don’t believe that marijuana helps SZ, but that is only an uneducated opinion of mine.

I have no personal experiences to share with you as my daughter doesn’t use recreational drugs and rarely drinks alcohol.

4 Likes

The cannabis can cause psychosis and unfortunately there is no way of knowing WHO will be impacted by it the most if they already have an underlying psychiatric diagnosis.

I would say no, but obviously if your child is an adult, they can’t be compelled NOT to use so long as they have access to money. Whether or not you want to deal with the risk and having cannabis used in your home (it stinks and there isn’t a good way to prevent it from staining the walls) is up to you.

Also, it’s worth pointing out most medications can and do have interactions (some known like that alcohol with other systemic depressants or weed, can make feelings of depression ect, worse) while others are relatively unknown due to the risk of exposing patients to both drugs as once, medically it is unethical to expose test subjects to both. As a precaution, I’m surprised the Pharmacist and the psychiatrist did not warm you against it.

2 Likes

Problem is, we all think it’s a bad idea but your son wants to smoke it. Do you know about I Am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help! How to Help Someone Accept Treatment?

You’re going to have to apply the LEAP approach: Listen, Empathize, Agree (where possible) and Partner.

I keep reading articles about how hallucinogens are supposed to help with depression. I don’t know about that, but I’m sure they are contraindicated for the treatment of SZ.

2 Likes