@Caregivers of Schizophrenics: Do you ever feel like you are negatively affecting a schizophrenic's voices?

I’m so sorry that we caregivers don’t get this right all the time.

I’m angry that bipolar/schizophrenia exists at all. I’m angry that there isn’t more help available to us all. I’m SO sad you are going through this. I would do ANYTHING to help. I think about this every day.

DON’T feel bad that I am concerned.

As a caregiver, it’s my compassion that drives me, and this site helps give me hope. Never worry that I have any burden of worry or anger. I’m an adult, I can handle it. I won’t be perfect, but if we all try together, we can ease each other’s stress a little. It can take time. I’m patient.

Please forgive me if I get crappy.

I’m trying to forgive my own lack of understanding. I’m trying to release my own stress.

I appreciate your bravery.

I love that you are reaching out whenever possible. It’s great when you try to take care of your needs and stay balanced. It’s fabulous when your humor shows and we both can apologize. The love and care is always in my heart and I just hope I can help prepare you for when I’m gone someday.

Your voices will never sway my love.

You can always be honest with me. I’ll listen. Who knows, maybe we’ll figure out some good way to make each day a little better. Maybe 2016 will be better. Let’s try together! :sunny:

I check in here infrequently, and I am glad I did today. Thank you for sharing your outlook and coping skills, it was just what I needed to help me when the going gets tough. That has been happening more and more lately. Thanks again!

I think it’s possible that I or anyone my son is with can influence his voices. He has always told me since the beginning that the voices say what he is thinking. So they can easily be directly influenced by anyone. They can also be influenced by his delusional thinking. But that is internal and not the result of other actual people.
So I try to be very aware of my interactions with him and realize that I have a huge impact on him, for better or worse. I know I don’t always do it perfectly, but I always try to think of how my words and moods can be effecting him and his illness.

Anger is an outlet for the pain underneath.

That is a good question and I’m not sure.

I do know that when my daughter is going through a rough patch she will sometimes blame and dump on me. It’s almost always her illness talking but I am not perfect and have probably said or done things that have hurt her. I can honestly say I’m doing the best I can and if at times my behavior or words have negatively impacted her illness I’m okay with that. Most of us do the best we can.

Hopeful, I’ve heard my son say horrible things about me to for many years. Now he’s getting therapy and is out of our house so I feel safer. I hope you don’t have to deal with that for long. My son still says horrible things to me but he’s a visitor and I’d like to keep it that way. Hugs and love.