Carers in mind (UK)

Those of us who work in mental health services, be that for the NHS or in social care settings receive both payment and training for our efforts. However, there’s an army of unpaid, informal mental health carers who receive neither, despite the fact that without their contributions the whole system would collapse.

It’s estimated that informal carers save the NHS more than it actually spends each year and that situation doesn’t look like it’s going to get better any time soon.

The ‘Carers in mind’ project is my attempt to help redress the balance by providing information and training in practical ways for carers struggling everyday to hold their families together, often in truly desperate circumstances.

If you’re a carer involved in mental health please feel free to comment and let me know what you’d like me to cover. I can’t promise to fulfil every request but I’ll do my best.

1 Like

Not only voices , or hallucinations but caring for someone with false beliefs, when they say things like we never protected him, we let it happen, etc etc.
It’s like a full time unpaid job that we get no annual leave from. Especially if they live with us 24/7.

1 Like

Can you provide more information on this UK Carer’s initiative? I am primary carer/support for my son who is diagnosed with severe and enduring schizophrenia. I’m also involved in the development of a Mental Health Carers support group with the local NHS Trust and have formed a self help group for parents and carers in the U.K. and meet with a number of parents regularly face to face
Phil

Unfortunately I don’t have further info. Here is a contact link for Stuart Sorensen who runs it Contact us | Mind The Care Training .