Claritin/Loratadine

An otc medicine that has similar structure to antidepressants and related to an anti psychotic.

“Loratadine’s peak effect occurs after one to two hours, and its biological half-life is on average 8 hours (range 3 to 20 hours) with desloratadine’s half-life being 27 hours (range 9 to 92 hours), accounting for its long-lasting effect.[19] About 40% is excreted as conjugated metabolites into the urine, and a similar amount is excreted into the feces. Traces of unmetabolised loratadine can be found in the urine.[8]
In structure, it is closely related to tricyclic antidepressants, such as imipramine, and is distantly related to the atypical antipsychotic quetiapine

Anecdotally, on another forum I follow, a member said that Claritin worked better than any antidepressant she had taken and also had some effects similar to Adderall. She said she used the kind that is behind the counter? I bought the equate brand that is not behind the counter and have been talking to my son about trying it. He has been prescribed Straterra in the past and does like the focus he gets from it. He consumes a lot of coffee for the same purpose. I’m going to see about obtaining the kind that is behind the counter in case he is willing to try it.

Edit: Claritin-D is behind the counter and has pseudoephedrine (Adderall effect). The following is in the adverse effects listed on Wikipedia.—

“ Rarely, pseudoephedrine therapy may be associated with mydriasis (dilated pupils), hallucinations, arrhythmias, hypertension, seizures and ischemic colitis;[17] as well as severe skin reactions known as recurrent pseudo-scarlatina, systemic contact dermatitis, and nonpigmenting fixed drug eruption.[18] Pseudoephedrine, particularly when combined with other drugs including narcotics, may also play a role in the precipitation of episodes of paranoid psychosis.”

I won’t be buying the Claritin-d for my son due to the possible adverse effects.