‘Confidentiality’ Is Wrongly Used To Block Carers From Helping Loved Ones

I guess this is based on this old christian principle you probably don’t care much for… that is in regards to Christianity in general (since Jesus probably constituted as a schizo from your perspective) … you know, that all men are created equal and have inalienable rights or something like that. I think that includes schizos and disabled people…maybe I am wrong.

I am just saying, quite rightly IMO, that if you fail to share relevant information with carers you can’t then blame them if things go pear shaped when it comes to their loved one’s well being. Anything less than that places carers in an impossible situation .
At the end of the day carers can only do the best with the information they have and care based on limited information is always going to be problematic.

It seems you are giving a red herring. I don’t see anyone attacking their carers when things go wrong…carer btw you still have failed to define.

Also, what country do you reside from? It seems you have an agenda that is unamerican, which is why I am asking. I highly doubt you’re from the USA.

@Daimon so only those from the US should post here? If you are in doubt as to what a carer is then do some damn research.

Just tell me what country you are from; I am curious… let me guess, China where they put kids in boot camp for video game addiction and give them electroshock…

I just think people should know if you’re from north korea or something and suggesting us Americans should change our mental health laws to reflect your own… just saying.

@Daimon Stop with the bigoted attacks on non Americans. There are plenty of non Americans here that would be offended by your behaviour.

I Am from the U.S. and I can certainly see the point Daimon is making about some families not being healthy to share info with. For me I just didn’t know if this is normal or
Not … Meaning if I take my son to a regular MD … There is a diagnosis and we discuss treatment options . I will clarify this is a counsellor psychotherapist who isn’t sharing any status with me regarding my son. Is that normal? Went to the psychiatrist once and she was much more open and we talked about medicines but I didn’t feel like I understood the root symptoms / problems very well to be deciding on serious drugs with serious side effects. I’m
still not sure those strong medicines are worth the risks unless I understand the problems better . Asking around here it’s not at all apparent that any meds work that well and it’s kind of hit and miss thing on what works for you

I agree that adults must retain their right to confidentiality. But I think if your family is as bad as those Daimon is describing, you should move away from them. Certainly, you can’t express that much antipathy and then expect to live in their house and get your treatment on their insurance. In our family, my son now lives independently, but we have a good relationship and he gave permission for me and my sister (his aunt) to be given information about him. But it’s not really necessary. He’s doing quite well these days. And that’s because he found the right meds, make no mistake.

I was a caregiver to my husband for many years starting back in the 1980’s. I did not have the difficulty with being involved in his diagnosis and treatment. He had bouts and was hospitalized over the years.
This last time in 2011, we were living in Florida and I had to hospitalize him in Lee County. He was told that he could sign the form that would not allow me to speak to the doctors, even though he had private care and I asked the facility continually to please contact his doctor. He had attempted suicide and that was the reason he was there. They released him February 2011 and I had to put him back in June 2011, where again he signed forms that left me in the dark. He told me during my visit to him that he was going to finish the job and would I ride with him, ala Thelma and Louise style to die on his birthday.
I immediately after the visit spoke to the charge nurse who I informed of his intentions and again asked, begged please contact his private doctor. The next day I received a call that they were going to release him. Again, I said no, hold him another day as I have made arrangements for him to be transferred to a facility and we would be taking him there straight away.
I was told that the doctor would bet his medical license on the fact that my husband was fine and to pick him up.
I did pick him up with my oldest son, and he was immediately angry that I had my sons involved in trying to reason with him. That was on a Sunday, June 12, 2011.
On June 14, 2011, what would have been my husband’s 58 birthday, he drove into a canal in Cape Coral, Florida, was revived but died that same day with swelling on the brain and no activity. His name was James Robert Brown and had been my husband for 33 years.
Today we would have been together as a couple for 40 years in total, 38 years married.
I want to let people know that I have now suffered from panic attacks, doctors tell me to move on and get over it, but after 20 + years of taking care of someone, my health has taken a toll.
I had to be hospitalized for broken heart syndrome and take medication for this.
Checks and balances need to be in place.
I want to help.
Thank you for your courtesy extended in reading this message.
Very truly yours,
Evelyn Brown

Thanks for posting, Evelyn!

Obviously.
If someone is caring for a child, husband, etc…treatment information SHOULD be available to the caregiver. No ifs, ands or buts!
That kind of ~!@#$ was awful to fight!
You know, the law says they have a right to keep this stuff private. How can you help a loved one then. Guess you could just let them be to live on the streets, go to jail, or get shot by the police-because of lack of information.
Duh! Of course if you have a horrible family, you would not want to give out information to them! But hopefully you have someone that has your back or you are up the creek. The police won`t help, the system is limited.
All this kind of stuff makes the disease worse and harder than it has to be~

Many husbands “care” for their wives without them being schizo…does that mean they should have access to their medical records and be able to talk to their therapist whenever they want? This is a ridiculous argument. No one has defined their terms in a detailed way by carer. Simply put, if you have guardianship you have access to that information. However, if they are relatively competent, then of course not! duh. You people are warped.

Let’s put it this way. A young adult has a physical disability and is on ssid. Should their family who helps support them be able to talk to their therapist and read their medical records? OF COURSE NOT. To say that should be the case for someone simply because they are schizo is a DOUBLE STANDARD.

You people are the epitome of everything wrong with views on mental health today in my opinion.

@Daimon So you believe that carers shouldn’t be given the necessary information to best fulfill the role of caring ?
Perhaps from your reactionary POV you would like for there to be no carers?

I am so sorry, Evelyn. It is so sad.

Yes, I have a physical disability - Type 1 diabetes. When I was a teenager/young person I frequently became hypoglycemic - my behaviour was extremely similar to someone in psychosis, except I would eventually pass out completely. I had no problem with every last member of my family knowing what was happening and how to help me. I suggest that if you have a problem with it, it is because you are self-stigmatizing.

Straw man, Daimon, nobody suggested reading anybody’s medical records.