‘Confidentiality’ Is Wrongly Used To Block Carers From Helping Loved Ones

The person’s diagnosis is a part of their medical records in my book, I don’t know about yours.

I understand that one might not want everyone to know ones diagnosis, but it is important for your supporters to know. Human beings live in couples, families and communities because its easier and they can cooperate and help each other. If you (general, not you personally) are ill, you really need to make an effort to find an ally or two or build trust with some people, even if its hard at first. When I moved to Turkey years ago, I had an illness (women’s stuff) and had to go many times to the gynae office and hospital with a much younger colleague so she could translate for me. It was hideously embarrassing. But she’s my best friend now and I love her very much! Life’s like that, Daimon. Sometimes you have to take a risk to make a friend or ally.

Some of my family know, but I don’t think it is everyone in my immediate family’s business to know, even if some of them help me out from time to time. I am an adult and not bouncing off the walls crazy, and I think this information should be in the control of the patient.

I’m not married because the welfare system wants to separate us.

I have people I would like to be able to talk to my treatment team, but the system makes it VERY difficult.

These laws were originally written to protect patients from abuses, but they end up protecting professionals from unwanted tasks. You may quote me.

Jayster

Oh, does anybody disagree with that? I completely agree with you. In my family, I know, my sisters and their families know, but my mother doesn’t know and nobody will tell her. My son told them, though. He was very open about his diagnosis.

My son has had his diagnosis for a couple of years now and no ‘leaks’. We all know my mum is spiteful and just cannot control her mouth sometimes, so in fact there are lots of things we don’t tell her. If that’s the kind of thing you are talking about, then I don’t think we disagree at all. I told my sisters for two reasons. First, I am not always there when my son needs help and I trust them to help him and so does he. Second, their kids may inherit it, too. If I had known, I would have tried to get treatment for my son much quicker in the prodromal period. In fact two of my nieces DO have some early/slight symptoms. So it is a “family affair” for us.

My mom’s parents and family members struggled for many years trying to get her help in West Virginia. She’s been hospitalized once over a ten period time where she’s been psychotic most of the time.The state is trying to fine my father for my mom for trespassing when she is psychotic, and the state is not taking action in helping her. Why should my dad pay a fine to the state of west virginia when the state is failing to help her in any way at all. She is not in control of herself and that’s not her fault she has a disease and the law is preventing her family members and loved ones to get help. She refuses to seek it on her own.

Gosh, that’s completely illogical legally. Either he is her legal “guardian” in which case he is in charge of her care and medical treatment ( he could request AP shots, for example, for her) and her actions. Or he’s not, so how can he pay her fines. What nonsense! It must be so frustrating for you all.

My mom’s doing very well also, lately. She shouldn’t have to be put through this type of stress. It upsets me and I am also beginning to feel hopeless as if the system was set up for failure.

Well for us, my son is 15, with loving and supportive parents – and as a parent I’d just like some high level information from the doctors since my kid doesn’t tell me much of anything (probably part of the condition). I’m scared to death of the meds and without knowing enough, I just see a kid who is very normal and high functioning. I am looking for a second opinion before proceeding and maybe that Doctor will involve the parents or at least educate us sufficiently to decide the correct course of action.