Depression Hits Over Son's Illness

My son is 27 and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder three years ago. I have watched him go from a highly functioning, fully capable adult to his current state which, to me, is just a shell of the person he was. He suffers. He is not the son I had. I have done everything I can think of to get him help, and it seems futile. He does not want to take anti-psychotic medications because he took some and had horrible side effects. He seems to be getting worse and worse. I don’t know what to do some days when it hits me how far gone he is. My family is not at all understanding or supportive. It feels like my son is slowly dying and no one cares. Is there any hope for him or for me?

1 Like

There is definitely hope for both of you. This forum is such a good place to find support and to learn from others’ stories. When I first found that group, I just read and read.
It can be a really gradual process getting help, but don’t lose faith that your son can improve over time.

1 Like

Yes, try to get DNA test at psych office to see what meds are good, bad, and nuetral for son. then continue to discuss and tell about needing right medicine. get online psych appts. I made my sons, had to pretend i was him. then he and I both sit and talk on phone, and doctor gives meds (as son hates to drive in car). They say it is like losing themselves, and sad , I too watched my active normal son, loose all interests and ability to go outside, for fear, and did weird things. my sons started at 16, and he is now 24, he is attached to the cat, and computer…I got him into vocational rehab, and he got a part time job…sad, no friends, but online friends…hasnt seemed as bad, since they had so many lock downs and colleges shut, and people did less outside activities. Dont give up…there was a new study 3/21, fro UNC, about link between schitzophrenia and “cat scratch fever”, from fleas, cats, and dogs, might look that up on google…

1 Like

Welcome to this site. I do hope you come back and read often. I know how helpless a caregiver can feel. Support here may help you find ways to improve your situation.

1 Like