Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Mom of adult son with Schizophrenia going thru depression dealing with the system and lack of help

Help me understand. Help me know what to do.

My son developed his mental illness from being in the military. Normal, intelligent, kind, loving child and now he hears voices, he cant make decisions, cant work, having serious psychotic episodes. BUT THERE IS NO HELP. Treatment for a week then back out with the same.

What do I do?

I am so sorry you and your son are going through this. This forum is a really helpful place! I have learned so much here.

What helped my son the most was finding a really good outpatient psychiatrist who has experience with psychosis and will really listen and make adjustments. In my son’s case, we tried a lot of doctors who didn’t have much experience with cases like him, partly because he was an adolescent and everyone said depression or ADHD, which was wishful thinking, probably.

I started calling the heads of departments at Columbia and Weill Cornell hospitals. I finally got the name of an amazing practice in Manhattan. This turned my son’s life around and I wish I had done this years earlier. He does his appointments virtually.

I’m not sure if this will be helpful to you, but for my son the right doctor was everything. If your son would agree to a monthly injection, that seems to work for lots of family members here. My son ended up on Clozapine, which if other medicines don’t work can be amazing. Even with medication, it’s not like before, but manageable.

Is your son willing to sign a release so that his psychiatrist, etc. can talk to you?

Sending positive thoughts. This is such a horrible disease, but this group is a good place to be.

1 Like

An outpatient psychiatrist, and a therapist meds a job turns the corner… deep breath

I feel great empathy as I read your words.

My 50- year-old son who lives in a group home has yet to find a psychiatrist/doctor that he trusts in the mental health system he is in. There are kind and knowledgeable people on staff there. He says he hates them all the time.

He has periods of great anger, blaming me for his horrible life. I have to set boundaries on our messages because he becomes verbally abusive.

After a period of silence, there is much apologizing and we start communicating again.

This forum is better support/comfort/info. than the docs.

Greetings from Vermont

1 Like

My best thoughts are with you. What a journey

Oui.
Hard to witness a loved one struggling year after year after year.

Merci beaucoup for your response.

Blessings from Vermont