Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Do any of you have a loved one who isolates/ or have you gotten them out of isolation?

It’s amazing how fast it goes after waiting (at least for us) for months and hours. I am glad she is being taken care of and you can rest a bit. Hopefully, they will mandate the meds for a while. I think that you can get the records to read what she did. I think they are public but not totally sure about that. My son also thought I was an imposter. (That’s not my mom). It didn’t bother me as I knew he was just off his rocker : )

@oldladyblue - How is your daughter doing - are you able to visit?

Thank you for your inquiries as to how she is doing and your comments @Catherine, @Holly67 and @Day-by-Day. @hope, it just was ordered that she be medicated while on supervised ROR (released on own recognizance). I assume she must be med compliant until she goes to trial. I plan to try to have trial delayed so she is on court ordered meds as long as possible. @DianeR I saw her tonight. She called me asking for some clothing to be dropped off, so I asked if I could visit. She looked and sounded great compared to where she’s been mentally for so long. She had a conversation with me for 10 minutes, even saying she wanted me to help find her a job again. She hugged me repeatedly and smiled the best smiles I’ve seen in months. Wow. I left on cloud 9.

5 Likes

Oooh it’s so nice to hear all of this. Praying for you all. Sleep well.

2 Likes

This is all good news - wow- she responds well to meds - what a wonderful day.

1 Like

Great to hear. She sounds like she is doing really well.

1 Like

I am so glad to hear that this is turning out to be a really positive thing!
If she is doing well now, there is so much for her to look forward to because there is plenty of ways she can gain more peace, more security, more independence and more happiness.
Maybe all she needed was a change of environment, some tough love (from the system) and some time for the meds to clear up some of the chaos.

Hopefully, that desire to chase her goals and find fulfillment will persist from now on.

2 Likes

So great to hear good news. I hope she continues to improve. Mine did. There is hope. He is back working full time, making friends, and for the first time in 9 years going to a Christmas party this Thursday. It took about 3 years once he got on clozapine but It really is a miracle

4 Likes

@lindag happy to hear of everyone with their loved ones getting better :heart_decoration: Q: does he express side effects of medicine such as some negative symptoms or a bit of depression of gaining bit of insight? My sister expressed that while she was on meds 3-4 years ago (not medicated anymore)…

1 Like

He does have excessive drooling at night and he did gain 100 pounds but has since taken 75 off. He has his life back and that’s wonderful

1 Like

Hi Lindag how much olanzapine is your son on ?

I am so happy for you and your daughter I know what a great feeling this must be. All my prayers go out to you and your daughter.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your good wishes and prayers. Yes, this was the happiest 30 days in years. I do hope that she accepts her next shot. Her appointment is Jan 3rd.

Happy new year to you too, and I hope your son does better. It would be so nice for you both.

Oldladyblue, I’m praying your daughter accepts her Jan. 3rd shot. If you don’t mind me suggesting, since this is still just the beginning and she is still lacking insight, I’d strongly suggest you promise something special to follow the event (the injection), like a special meal, or a special mother-daughter outing. Keep things as calm, loving, and non-confrontational as possible over these next 2 days.

1 Like

That is a great suggestion @Day-by-Day and I will try to figure something fun out for us to do.

I do so much appreciate the prayers and suggestions. It is a crucial time for her to keep on with her meds. I can see the psychosis beginning again, she is isolating more and talking to her voices again, although quietly and not all the time. I do so want for her to accept this shot. I’m almost afraid to talk to her about it at all. I don’t want to rock the boat. I did get her to confirm that her appt is Thursday and then I dropped the subject.

I know how you feel. I remember things at the beginning were so unpredictable and so nerve-racking when injection time came. You just need to get her through one injection at a time. Think in the moment. Do whatever you have to do, even if it means bribery, but keep things calm. Have no additional expectations other than getting that thing injected into her arm. I know that sounds terrible, but this is what it takes.

With each month, it’ll get easier.

And if there’s a “next time”, make it happen at day 28, not day 30.

1 Like

Yes, it is definitely nerve-wracking. Thanks for the reminders to keep it calm. I must be single minded to help her get to that appt without an argument. Calmly. The key IS calmly, an argument will start resentment and that would be awful. Good tip on 28 days instead of 30 also, I will drop off a note to the clinic about scheduling for 28 days next month. Thank you.

1 Like

Well, my daughter went to the clinic for her appointment. I felt great on Thursday about that. She went on her own, and wouldn’t allow me to come.

However, today, I got a phone message from the clinic trying to reach her and asking her to return to the clinic. When I called to ask if she got her court ordered shot, I got the “She didn’t sign a release for you, so I can’t discuss this with you, but can you get her to come back here?” . I’m assuming she didn’t get the shot. I can pretty much tell as she is again talking to herself and developing antagonism towards my husband. Oh dear.

Oh boy. I believe if it’s court ordered and she doesn’t go they will come and check on her. That’s what the doctor told my son. I believe they would take him to get it. Hang in there. At least you know she respnds well to medication. Darn it.

1 Like

Oh no. So sorry, oldladyblue. I wish I had said some more things to you earlier, to give you strategies and guidance. Maybe my ideas will help you in the future, or they’ll help someone else here on the forum.

I think at the beginning, a person with severe anasognosia cannot be trusted to go alone to an injection appointment. For the first few months, I insisted on driving and accompanying in the waiting area, saying “It’s not a choice. I’m coming.”

I waited until about month 6 before I allowed my son to go into the building by himself while I waited in the car. Even then, I would find some fake reason (ex. Need to use the bathroom, need to make an appointment for myself, etc) to go in to check on things (make sure he wasn’t faking it or hiding in the bathroom).

Now, even after about 15 months of injections, I wait in the car but I try my hardest to inconspicuously check to make sure there’s a bandage on his arm. I’ll say something like “What arm did you use today?”

A trick I used to get past the HIPPA nonsense and find out if the injection was definitely completed is to call the clinic and say “I need to set up an appointment for my son’s next injection. It needs to be 28 days after his last injection, but I can’t remember when that was. Can you please check what date that was?” This worked like a charm for me, but only because my son’s doctor office was allowing me to make the appointments. Not all do.

I really hope your daughter gets picked up and taken to the clinic. I’m praying for you all.

Edit: Although my son had court-ordered meds earlier in his illness, the community-based monthly injections were not court ordered. They were “ordered” by us, his parents, after one of his many hospitalizations, as a condition for living in our home. This is why I had to be the “heavy” in our situation. I hope you don’t have to be and the court order takes that burden off you.

1 Like