Experience with cash-only psychiatrists

I was wondering if anyone has experience with pay-upfront cash-only (i.e.don’t accept insurance) psychiatrists.

We called one of these places today and they asked to give them a debut card number (including PIN), which we were not comfortable with.

Another details is this clinic has an unusually high number of positive reviews everywhere.

However, besides tele-call, this seems to be the only option to see a Dr. in the next few day.

Please excuse my spelling as we have been under a lot of stress lately.

Thanks

Every psychiatrist my son has seen has been on a “no insurance” basis. They would take credit cards which is how I would know who he was seeing.

Same here. The psychiatrist doesn’t accept insurance.

Thanks for the quick response. I hope it is not too rude to ask about how much is the average cost per visit?

The providers we have found charge between $750 and $1000 per visit and prescribe meds for only one week.

If I remember correctly, it was $500 for the first visit and $200 for the monthly visits. Meds prescribed were for one month.

$750 - $1,000 per visit is crazy high. We are getting billed $150 for monthly, 30-minute visits where the meds are prescribed.

How Much Does A Psychiatrist Cost? says:

The cost of working with a psychiatrist will depend on where you live, your insurance, and your treatment requirements. In addition to an appointment fee, you may also need to pay for specific types of treatments, tests, and/or lab work. The average psychiatrist’s fee generally falls somewhere between $100 and $300 per appointment. You should expect to pay up to $500 for the initial consultation and roughly $100 an hour thereafter for follow-ups. This is the out-of-pocket fee, without insurance.

1 Like

In my experience, and with the opinion of several therapists I have conferred, patients generally get much better treatment with private pay/ no insurance psychiatrists. The one we used charge $175/ session and appointments were once a month unless otherwise necessary. The DR. was much more on top of it and gave much better attention and care to patient. We have dealt with several insurance paid psychiatrists who have been very much detached and not giving as good a care.

It’s becoming more common, due to the insane paperwork and invasive and discriminatory aspects of insurance companies. My current psychiatrist only accepts one insurance company with everything else being cash-only. My previous psychiatrist was exclusively cash-only as well. Both would give you “super-bills” on request so you could file your own “out-of-network” claims.

In over 30 years of psychiatric and psychological care, I’ve only had insurance pay for one doctor other than my current one, and even that one started kicking back claims. I had one employer that was self-insured, and I was loath to file claims lest my diagnosis leak and jeopardize my employment. This was before HIPAA and ADA were passed. I’ve generally either took medical exemptions on my taxes, or used HSA and FSA funds with pretax money. I’ve also had psychologists discount their fees substantially if I bypassed insurance companies.