Getting person with schizophrenia Hospitalized

Freeedomm88 - You’re not helpless; here are wild questions that may or may not help:

• What about a PERT Team that can come out and speak with your brother? My son is very high functioning and can pull the games you mentioned. The PERT Team has helped here and there.

• Have you or your parents told him to leave your home? We moved our son into an Independent Living home (many in our area) for a few months and now that is good leverage to get cooperation now that he’s back in our house. It’s a constant challenge when they’re manipulative and super smart which many of them are :slight_smile:

Any help?

Hi, I have never heard of such a team, what are they composed of?
I kicked my brother out already in 2011 after his first psychotic episode. He’s been renting a room independently since then.

Ah, okay now I get it. That’s great if he’s independent and not living with you. Call up your police department and ask them what they call the team that is trained to interact with mentally ill people. They call that PERT in So. California, where I am. They’ll typically be on duty a few days a week and they can speak with him even before he’s been violent if you think he’d be a danger to himself or others. Helpful?

They are called CIT officers. And I called the police Tuesday night asking for Cit and they said we send whose available. The patrol sent out two young guys one was chewing tobacco and already gave me a weird vibe. They kept saying sorry we cant help with this unless he’s gravely disabled. They talked to my brother but it was a waste of time. They were not Cit officers obviously, so I don’t even know how to get one when I need one.

I see what you’re up against there - I found this when looking for commitment procedures in San Franciso -

In San Francisco, the Probate Court Judge oversees mental health
conservatorships and related mental health proceedings. A mental health
conservatorship is different from a probate conservatorship. It is used
only for people who have a psychiatric disorder so severe that it
prevents them from providing for their most basic personal needs such as
food, clothing, and shelter. The legal term is gravely disabled.

He has a room, I’m assuming he has clothes - and he has food? So, they’ll say he’s not gravely disabled. Too bad they didn’t add “seek medical care when needed” in there too.

This is the standard here in addition to doing harm to himself or others, The lack of capacity to protect himself from harm is how they have done both involuntary holds for my son. It’s a looser standard that’s more open to interpretation.

“Suffer serious harm due to his lack of capacity to protect himself from harm or to provide for his basic human needs.”

I’m amazed California isn’t more progressive, or maybe this is someone’s idea of being progressive?