Help How to cut the Hanger

Please share with me what procedure or method have been taken to CUT this Monster Hunger due to medications.

Whenever he wants to eat , he becomes a Monster and wants to hit anyone in his way …

I understand PROTEIN is the key - but can not afford Meat and chicken every day. Please list for me How your Food Journey with your diagnosed kid.

3 Likes

Hello boiled eggs, peanut butter on celery, tuna (salad): mayo, onion, pickles. Legumes (beans) not to expensive (dried) boil till done. Look up easy cheap high fiber protein meals on internet.
Still have to watch the weight gain. Try to make a lot of little snacks for in between meals so they don’t get too hungry at one time.

3 Likes

I know what you mean. He’s hungry and eats sometimes until he throw up. Drinks like that too. It’s hard to manage. My son will pace, open and closed the refrigerator until I’m sure it’s going to lose the suction on the door frames.

3 Likes

Are there food pantries where you live? Sometimes one of my friends gets free meals from Church.

1 Like

Hello, Since we moved towards a pre-diabetic low carb / high protein and fat diet (ketogenic), the carb-cravings and intense hunger diminished. To support the budget, in Australia, we eat turkey, kangaroo and lots of tinned tuna. We buy meats like chicken, pork, lamb and beef only when on sale (or close to their use-by date. Bulk cook and freeze. That way, my son (the ASD, ADHD, Schizophrenia member) has meals he can pull out of the freezer, microwave and eat. He lives off tins of tuna, rice and salad for lunch. Nuts, carrots, celery, cheese and fruit are his snacks. Water is his preferred beverage. However, while he still eats junk-food (Maccas, KFC) he isn’t ballooning out or binging. It is a balancing act, one we all share.

3 Likes

My stepson has always had a big appetite, but curiously, it grew with the onset of symptoms over the years. He was recently diagnosed with SZ less than a month ago, and was put on Seroquel for sleep and Risperidone 1 mg for the hallucinations & delusions. He showed marked improvement after just a few days, but then last night he had an episode so I left a message for his doctor; his dose probably needs increased.
I haven’t noticed a change in appetite due to meds, but as I said, his appetite became ridiculous as symptoms became more pronounced. I can’t help but wonder if SZ in general has somehow caused his appetite growth. He is 20, and I previously wrote off the amount he ate to being a teen male, but I have 2 other boys (one a year older, the other 2 years older) and they never ate nearly as much as he does.
To give you an idea, he eats more than me, my husband & my daughter combined, but he is not overweight at all, which is confusing.
He stayed at his Grandparents for 5 days and they were shocked because literally he ate all the food in their house during his visit.
I am perplexed because I don’t know where it’s all going. He will eat a three course meal, and an hour or two later eat a large can of beans with 4 cups of cooked rice.
He eats like that daily.

1 Like