I think my child has schizophrenia

I’m new here. I guess I’m looking for advice, a place to vent, and understanding.
A little background before I get into it. My son is 5, soon to be 6, and his father has schizophrenia. His father got so bad that he needs supervised visitation just to see our son.

I really think my son has unfortunately inherited the schizophrenia…
He’s been having a lot of problems for 3 years now. I’ve been in close contact with his pediatrician over the years and I put him in counseling not too long ago, but it eventually got to a point where the counselor didn’t know what to do with him.
My son acts like a terrorist in this house and at school! The teachers don’t know how to help him…no one does.
He’s constantly defyant, screaming, and violent. EVERYDAY! His rage is completely out of control. None of my other kids act like him. I’m at a point where I’m starting to hate my son and I feel awful that I could ever feel this way about my own child.
I’ve been calling so many places for behavioral therapy because that’s what I thought would help him but nowhere will accept him because of my insurance or because he’s so young.
I looked up schizophrenia today and he has so many symptoms of it…now I have no idea where to start and I just want my son to start getting help so that he can act normal enough to at least function in everyday life and so he can have a good relationship with me and the family.

Is there a NAMI near you? They have a support group for parents of children with mental illness. I have no other suggestions as my daughter was an adult when the sz hit her. Do come here for support and read and ask questions. Everyone here understands the battles of this illness.

There are also several people here who have children who were dz early. Mine was in his 20s. Let me see if I can find some of the others will young children.

1 Like

Here is a thread about a 9 year old getting dz. This may give you some direction.

I did read about a few other young children - your son’s age or younger in the book Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America.

That only gave 2 examples - one family chose to medicate the other did not.

@MKY Agreed. SZ at such a young age is certainly much rarer and I’m not sure doctors will even diagnose it as such at that age. I have met multiple parents in this situation, however. I met them at NAMI Family Support Groups, so I definitely recommend that if you have one in your area. NAMI.org (National Alliance on Mental Illness). NAMI also offers a NAMI Basics class that is specifically for families of young ones with this illness. I am so sorry for your situation but please know there is hope.