I'm scared of my son for the first time

You have to protect yourself. When you have time, compile a crisis folder and include all significant contacts for your area. If you have to call the Police, make sure to tell them that this is a mental health issue, not a criminal one. And, as someone else has mentioned, you can call ahead and make sure the responders in your area have been trained in how to deal with mental health situations.

1 Like

His dad and myself went to sheriff dept and talked with them about what our options are. First stop is to see judge as soon as the courts open back up. So thankful his dad is stepping up and giving me some help!!
Prayers for everyone!!

4 Likes

Courts should be open back up tomorrow?

Iā€™m sure the judge will be sympathetic and do everything he can.

Here, the magistrate approves the involuntary hold, then they have to go in front of a special judge within 2 business days to get it approved. The county gives the patient a lawyer so theyā€™re represented & everything.

Since I wasnā€™t the one to initiate the involuntary hold, I was never notified of when the case would be, so I didnā€™t attend - only know what Iā€™ve been told & what Iā€™ve read.

Here, they always give them a 30-day hold, then itā€™s up to the hospital to determine if they are safe to be released earlier. If they need more than 30 days, they repeat the hearing and then I think they can approve 90 day increments.

Good luck and please let us know if the judge was able to help you.

3 Likes

Our courts here donā€™t open back up till the 3rd. Just how my luck goes. The good news is that yesterday and today he is back to normal. I see my son again! He even said that he thinks it will be better for him to get back on the Invega Sustenna!! :grinning: Iā€™m not going to get my hopes up too high but Iā€™m going to hold onto this moment for as long as I can.

My plan is if he brings drugs in the house, friends who do drugs into the house or in anyway shows he is on drugs, Iā€™m calling Sgt Pratt who is cit trained to come to the house and hopefully he will get arrested. Then Iā€™m going to talk with the Judge and see if we can get him committed.

Thanks again for everyoneā€™s help, advice, ear and prayers! Iā€™m so thankful for this site and pray daily for all our families!!

And just like thatā€¦the tide turns!! I despise this mental illness roller coaster!! Simple conversation turns into a nightmare of misunderstanding! And now heā€™s retreated to his room not speaking! ā€œWalking on eggshellsā€ doesnā€™t even come close to describing what itā€™s like!! :pensive:

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan. Well, I never described it as walking on eggshells with him. I have my own term for it, ā€œPlaying Minesweeper.ā€ Does anybody else remember the Windows Vista game? If not, just check out this link:

2 Likes

lol, it was waaaaay before Vista!

1 Like

I do remember the game! Had forgotten about it though! And it fits the analogy too!!

1 Like

True, true! :joy:
twenty characters

That indeed it does. :grin:

1 Like