Involuntary Hospitalization at times of No harm/threats of self and others?

Hugs to you too, thank you so much

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry your sister has gotten worse but a person cannot be involuntarily hospitalized unless they are a threat to themselves or others. Does she have any insight into her illness?

@violinist Years ago when she was talkative, she told me about her hallucinations ā€¦ she hasnā€™t spoken a word since which made me worry about her mental health deteriorating but today she spoke to my 7 year old cousin! Then she went back to not responding to meā€¦

Good luck. Most states will not commit involuntarily unless the person is of harm to him or herself. In some states, it has to be ā€œimminentā€ harm. In those cases, you have to get as creative as possible if YOU believe that the commitment is the best for your loved one. And even then, it becomes a question of how long the hospital will keep the person and what kind of treatment/programs/housing, etc. is available after their discharge and that your loved one will comply with.

3 Likes

That is wonderful that she spoke to your cousin today. One day she will speak to you.

Peace this holiday season,

2 Likes

I think the goal of hospitalization would be to get her to comply with taking medication. This can be very helpful.

1 Like

Hi Diane R and hope you had a lovely Christmasā€¦I am on here tonight, December 28 because after almost 3 years of my son not being on any medsā€¦ he is making bizarre statements ā€¦ againā€¦ and I believe the pot has once again come into play as he left the house to go see his friend Danā€¦ he hasnā€™t spoken of him for almost as long as he hasnā€™t been medicated and now suddenly everything makes sense as to the behaviorā€¦ here starts the roller-coasterā€¦ I am sooo glad to read of your wonderful news thoughā€¦ glad everything worked outā€¦thats FANTASTIC!! Sounds like he is on Invega?.. Well, just had to come on and reach out to someone that I had a connection withā€¦hope this is short-lived or we could get back on the merry-go-round of hospitalizations and medsā€¦

Hi @ant930 - How is your son doing today? Iā€™m sorry to hear of his bizarre statements - Iā€™m hopeful it was just a one time thing and he is back to being clear. I need to figure out what Iā€™ll need to do if my son goes off his meds and I have to force them. At least last time your son was willing to go to the hospital willingly and at least you know what youā€™re dealing with. Yup - my son is on Invega monthly, which I insisted on because that was what worked for your son. He (my son) is on probation for a year for a reckless driving ticket so he canā€™t smoke pot which has been helpful. He actually went out to dinner with us on Christmas eve which was a miracle. Is your son living with you?

I am glad that your son is doing well and that my suggestion of trying Invega has been successful in your sonā€™s recoveryā€¦ That is fantasticā€¦My son, who does still live with me, did not actually go to the hospital willinglyā€¦ he was handcuffed and brought to our area crisis center then transferred to another short term 10 day placementā€¦ maybe it was ā€œwillinglyā€ as he didnā€™t put up a big fuss with the officers but he never really grasped why he was hospitalized. He has been medication free since June 2016 and the text I received from his brother, my other son that lives down in NC was dishearteningā€¦So after confronting him, he insists that I ask him this bizarre question all the timeā€¦After I confronted him last night, he was going to visit his friend (pot-smoking partner)ā€¦ probably one and only friend, Dan, that he rarely sees since Dan now has a girlfriendā€¦soooo I suspect the potā€¦ anyway thank you for responding, just needed to tell someone and you had been supportive in the pastā€¦ I, too, hope this is isolated, but wish he would not be so idle. Although he works, thatā€™s all he does, then itā€™s homeā€¦Does your son live at home?.. It means so much to us when they participate in holidays so am glad he went with you to dinnerā€¦ anywayā€¦ take care and I am here for you if need beā€¦ Hugsā€¦ Debbie

2 Likes

@ant930 - I remembered the crisis center but not the handcuffs. My son lives with me and like your son he works and then he comes home. He doesnā€™t do anything else except watch tv and buy cars (only 2). He plans on moving out when he is off probation which is next fall at which time he says he will go off the meds as well. So weā€™ll see how that all pans out. For now, Iā€™m hopeful I can get him to clean up his room and maybe go see a movie with me. Sigh. Keep us posted. Hugs back to you.

1 Like

These stories make me sad. It is my goal to help my son gain insight to see the need for medication. What can each of us do in our own situations to work towards that, assuming that is what each of us wants? I know not everyone sees the meed for meds this way, but I challenge those who do to keep hope and keep searching for ways to help their loved one get the help they need to live a good life. I am determined that this is possible for almost all persons with SMI. Even prominent journalist Pete Earley stated that in a recent article: ā€œBe Hopeful During This Coming Year: Hope For Those Who Are Sick, Hope For Reform, Hope For Recoveryā€. This is an encouraging read!!

3 Likes

How do you force involuntary treatment. I am always told my son has to admit himself. He doesnā€™t think he has a problem but he does. What are the steps to take to force this legally?

We have had to admit our sons several times. Is your son an adult? Is there a crisis intervention team that works in your area that can advise you? I think every state is different, but in our state we can apply for a court order to have them admitted for a 72 for hold until a psychiatrist has seen them and deems that it is necessary to hold them longer. Each time one of our sons has gone in, it has been very necessary. They donā€™t talk to us for a few days, but once they think about it and the meds kick in, they understand that it is coming from a place of love. (they have not been in at the same time though!). Sometimes the traumatic experience is worth it to keep them med compliant and safe.

2 Likes

Hi @violinist and @Red They can be court ordered to hospitalization where I live if they are ā€œgravely disabledā€ despite care from family members. It is called ex-parte, and is a petition to the court. This is useful when the ā€œthreat to self or othersā€ isnā€™t present. NAMI in any area should be able to tell a person if ex-parte is possible. That is how I learned of ex-parte involuntary evaluation and hospitalization. If the police canā€™t force admission due to no present threat to self or others, ex-parte might work. If there is a crime committed, and an arrest, the judge at arraignment can order medical evaluation. That is how I got my daughter admitted and onto meds this past December.

1 Like

Thank you for responding. Here is a little background info. I first realized my son had a problem Jan of 2014. At that time I was living in ILL. But was transitioning to WI. For a job transfer. He had an episode which he thought a dead body was under his car and blood inside of it. I spent an hour or so with him going through his car to find nothing but he still insisteded it was there. He was saying he was going to dig 3 holes in the ground. He was out of control so I called the police and they said if he didnā€™t say he was going to kill himself their was nothing they could do. I told them I was not only afraid for him but for his soon to be x-wife and 2 children because he was saying he was going to dig 3 holes in the ground. I really thought he was going to hurt them. I then called his dad to come and get him because I would not let my son drive. Me and his dad argued because his dad said their was nothing wrong with him. His dad was in denial. (Now his dad understands his is very ill). Unfortunately I still had to move to WI. Prior I did call several mental health facilities in Illinois and they all said the same thing. He has to admit himself unless he tries to kill himself. I did everything I could for him ,with his Dad and him in denial there was something wrong, I felt helpless. My son had several episodes since and his Dad has tried several things to get him help. I have also worried about my son having his kids alone and I had to talk with their mother to warn her of my worries. It was then she confessed she noticed him having mental issues after they got married and did not know what to do. I asked her why she did not tell me, she said she did not know how. Prior to this my son was a very good father and had a good job and was taking care of his family with a responsible attitude. His x-wife told me it hit him about 27 years of age and now he is 30. I felt so bad for her because she had to deal with all this by herself. I am still very close to her and do see my grandchildren 3 times a year. She is like a daughter to me and feel blessed she still has an open heart for this situation and communicates with me often. I have recently thought about having him come to WI but my husband now is very unsettled with this idea. I will look into what WI has for support for the mentally ill and if I can obtain a court order here and evaluate the need for him to come here for treatment. I have been so emotionally drained trying to understand why he has this illness and if my leaving contributed to the illness. My son and I were very close and now I do not know who he is. Everyone tells me to stop trying because there is nothing I can do until he helps himself. I can not afford to support him anymore because the company I worked for has closed the plant and now I am making min wage. From a 100 thousand to little of nothing income. I have been his main financial support during this time but now I can not do it anymore. I feel no one understands a mothers love never stops. It is not easy to step away. I just want my boy back, I do not know who he is today. My son limits conversation with me because at the start his dad told him I was trying to commit him, which with his illness, makes him feel I am the demon. His dad has changed since then but the damage is there. My son has said to me he would like to come and visit me,but what does that mean? I thought my challenges in life have been settled but since 2014 I feel nothing but sadness and why at this age do I have to have more life lessons. I feel so bad for my son to have all these thoughts in his head and understand he can not help it. I just wish I could get him started in a different direction with meds and diagnosis. Sorry I went on and on, this is really the first time I have every communicated my feeling so freely. My husband doesnā€™t even know my inner feelings about this situation because I have always been the strong one and independent. I have never felt this helpless and personally donā€™t know how to deal with it. Thank you so much for letting me go on.

1 Like

You can look up the individual state laws for involuntary treatment at the Treatment Advocacy Center. That is also a good site to keep attuned with. https://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/

Keep in mind that local jurisdictions may enforce these laws a bit differently. Some judges are more favorable to getting help for our loved ones than others. Keep talking to people in your area. Attend a NAMI Support group. The more you learn the greater chance you can help your loved one.

Oh I understand your pain. Our love never stops and we miss the people they were. You are not alone. There are a lot of us out here trying to rebuild and adjust to this new normal.

1 Like

I am back again with my sister, I was with her last year November 2018 to end of January 2019 when I shared many posts and questions here about our storyā€¦ then back for a couple of days visit in March and now with her since one week and I do not know how long Iā€™d stayā€¦ After over three years now of my sister being unmedicated, not stepping a foot out of the house, taking only few steps to kitchen or bathroomā€¦ not uttering a word to anyone and in complete isolationā€¦ my brother who she lived with and was clinically depressed himself as a caregiver has now left and disappeared saying he doesnā€™t want to share where he is or when heā€™ll be backā€¦ my mother said if I donā€™t do involuntary hospitalization for my sister, she wouldā€¦ all what I was trying to avoid for my sister and I throughout the past years was the trauma of involuntary hospitalization but now we all got no choice as we can no longer live normal lives if she continues to isolate and not communicate even her basic needsā€¦ if people put food on the table, sheā€™d take it, if there isnā€™t anything, she wouldnā€™t even know how to ask for things anymore, sheā€™s always angryā€¦ locking herself in her roomā€¦ but something different this time has happenedā€¦ in the past visits when I sneak in her room to clean it, Iā€™d read her body language and leave when she enters but this visit I refused to leave her room when she grabbed my arms to move me out, I refused and told her her room is in disparate need of cleaning, she pulled my hair really hardā€¦ this is the first time ever that I consider her done anything violent to protect her ā€œterritoryā€ā€¦ Iā€™m not exaggerating when I say that her room situation I think might cause diseases as hasnā€™t been vacuumed/properly deeply cleaned since she started isolating over three years agoā€¦ her health I believe is deteriorating and countless reasons how her afflictions have caused depression to many of us so I know in my heart that Iā€™m surrendering to the idea of involuntary hospitalization but I am still afraid of the trauma for me to witness this event for my only sisterā€¦ and canā€™t make the call or steps forwardā€¦ although my employer and husband are waiting for me (maybe?) in another countryā€¦ I say maybe because this has been going on for years and maybe they are tired of me not knowing how to be happy/good company since years and being far away is a break for them? Anyhow, back to my sisterā€¦ and then dreading decision of first involuntary hospitalization callsā€¦

Appreciate any advice for me as a witness to this event during and after?

In my opinion, making the call for involuntary hospitalization is the step you need to take now to rescue your sister from this horrible disease. Itā€™s the only kind and caring thing to do at this point. She is clearly a danger to herself. Please try to feel no guilt. Let her be helped.

3 Likes

Well, only an attorney can petition the court to do this. Where I live, they are only three attorneys in the county that the court will allow this order.

Even if you are successful, they wont hold her long.

The cops will do NOTHING unless she is a threat to herself or othersā€¦