Looking for advice on relationship with schizophrenic roommate

That I can understand. Little things trip me up too, and I have barriers from things that most people consider easy. For me it’s mostly interpersonal though, when it comes to constructive actions I just force myself to do it. I can’t imagine what could be scary or difficult about doing dishes, but then again, most people don’t consider interacting with strangers on a daily basis scary or difficult, and it is for me.

Sometimes its just the “I can’t really do it” in the subconscious it’s difficult to explain…

I guess I get that too. One time my boyfriend tried to help me conquer my fear over bringing up an issue with a coworker to my supervisor by having me rehearse what to say. Even when he told me exactly what to say, I had the hardest time getting the words out, and I can’t explain why.
So even though our problems are very different, if I try I can find ways to sympathize and empathize with her.

You’re a good friend. And a good person.

Just remember it’s not her fault, and things come naturally.

Yeah, that’s why I don’t like a distinction between “normal” and sz, we all have little things. But it’s a serious illness nonetheless.

You have a great boyfriend!

As someone who hears voices in my head telling me I am evil, an asshole, dead, or going to die that sound like people I know, very often it can be very challenging.

The therapists and doctors can tell the schizophrenic to not listen to the voices, don’t talk to them, etc but sometimes they just hit you with a 1-2 punch that can cripple your mood.

Social anxiety, I have that too, it stems from a delusion that others can hear my thoughts which has me trying to not think bad things around people which just backfires.

Don’t really have any advice, good luck.

My roommate says the same thing, she sometimes thinks people’s facial expressions are in response to her thoughts.

I guess no one really knows how to deal with it. I don’t have SZ but I do have intrusive, disturbing thoughts sometimes, and they can have the same effect on my mood and how I feel about other people. I can’t figure out how to get rid of them, and in my case it’s probably just cognitive issues rather than a chemical or physical problem.