Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Loosing the love of your life, the one person that makes it all worth it

I’m about to loose the one person I love the most in the world.
I understand we all have to endure so many hardships, having a loved one suffering from sz.
My mother is schizophrenic and has been since before I was born. It was a horrible childhood but I was fortunate enough to be brought up by my grandparents after my mother was committed. I was ten years old at the time.
My grandfather is dead and I’m afraid my grandmother will soon be following him.
People just don’t understand how can I be so attached to her. People grow old and die, but it isn’t that simple when you’re talking about a person who saved my life, who put up with my mother’s illness just to take care of me.
My grandma is 93 years old so I’ve taken care of her for the last decade or so. But she’s also taken care of me the whole time. Her love is the one thing that keeps me sane.
I’m about to be all alone in the world. Just me and my sz mother who can’t even relate to my feelings of complete void, helplessness.
Life is so pointless right now.
But my responsibilities do go on.
My mother is mentally ill and I have to attend to her needs everyday for the rest of my life.

3 Likes

im sorry you have to go through this joana…i know its tough losing someone close to you

1 Like

It seems that life goes full circle. Now you honor your grandma’s memory by doing to your mom what she did to her daughter, caring for her

1 Like

I’m so sorry you are going through this grief
You are so strong and it might not always feel like it but somewhere your mum is thankful to you

1 Like