Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

My brother is suicidal - I told doctors, but is most likely to be released early

My brother Jason, 32, has Schizoaffective disorder. He cannot think/memory problems, starves himself, has blood sugar issues, and is very unpredictable mood wise. Many more issues too.

I came out to Boston, MA to visit him as he travels all over the country to find “the doctor” which will fix him. He does not think he is ill mentally only physically.

He sent me a text yesterday and said he was going to hang himself. He’s threatened this before but I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get him help. He wanted to go to the ER (for sugar issues) but when he went back I pulled the nurse and showed him.

They kept him overnight in the ER and I was able to talk to more Dr’s and give them the run down. My mom also called too. He’s at a very very good hospital for psychiatric illnesses (Mass Gen) and because they don’t have enough beds they are transferring him to a Veterans hospital.

A VA hospital… he has been to SO many and they do NOT give a shit! He will only be there for 5-7 days, unless they deem it necessary for him to get more help, but he can’t stay there if they reach that point. And then what? All the good hospitals are filled. The cycle continues?

I’m so scared. This has happened time after time. He even threatened me because he told me to lie and say he was mentally stable (which I didn’t), so he said if he saw me back at his apartment I would regret it. And he was going to dragged me by my hair and throw me into the pavement. I sent this to his Dr’s at Mass Gen which I know they will send over to the VA, but again we have such bad luck with VA’s.

I don’t know what to do or how to get him into a good hospital.

Hi , So sorry for your pain ,
My son ‘’ has Schizoaffective disorder. He cannot think/memory problems, starves himself, has blood sugar issues, and is very unpredictable mood wise. Many more issues too.’’ “trying to find “the doctor” which will fix him. He does not think he is ill mentally only physically.”
Your words , your pain and this horrific illness is my life with my son and he is on meds even though he has no insight . The system is hell !!! and his meds are keeping him out of the hospital . Is your brother taking meds ? if not , can you get legal advise to see if he can be court ordered to take meds ? Thats what i did with my son . This illness takes so much energy out of you , today was a hard and stressful day for me but i am trying to take one day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time . Hang in there , perhaps call NAMI for advise .

1 Like

Honestly, in my opinion, that is an average time in a hospital, VA or not, for someone who isn’t acting out in the hospital. My daughter had 5 hospitalizations, two from jail, all private hospitals. Only one time was she kept long (over 3 weeks), but the result was always that she came off her meds when released as she wasn’t mentally ill in her opinion. Only forced medication after a judge ordered it kept her on meds long enough to get her stabilized. And luckily, it was a med that I knew worked from a prior hospitalization, and the doctor read my fax suggesting she be given it again, and he did. She is still on that med and doing well.

You have to have hope and keep trying by communicating to the doctors and your loved one. My daughter always forgave being force hospitalized. I hope your son will do better this time. Keep taking care of yourself, and go one hour at a time as needed, and do call NAMI.