My life changed after my son's illness

My life has also changed since my son’s illness…especially this summer. I’ve written before of my son’s issues but this summer he was released from a behavioral health facility – at the time they felt he was able to leave after a meeting with his Dr, social worker and another hospital worker. He was on monthly Invega shots plus other meds. Also at the time, my insurance wouldn’t pay for a longer stay I was hesitant but felt I had no choice but to give him another chance. Unfortunately, he had another psychotic episode 2 weeks later and got out of control and my daughter (26) and I had to flee my home and call 911. (Instead of having him involuntarily committed and then having the police bring him to hospital) – so now the law is involved and will be pressing charges. This happened 7/27 and he has been hospitalized since – this time in the long term care wing of the same hospital (why didn’t they put him there in the first place/second place or subsequent hospitalizations is unbeknownst to me). He is doing better there, as he always does — but with the charges pending against him, we got an attorney to hopefully, keep him out of a jail and put him in another long term facility (if one exists in our state.) He is naturally very scared of being put in jail, as am I. But I also fear him coming home and having another episode and this time someone getting hurt. Oh, and a long term relationship I had ended due to issues w/my son and I also lost my job in June. So yea, life’s been tough. I am in the process of worrying for his likely future, mourning the loss of the future I thought he had (he’s very bright and was attending college when his first episode occurred) and also this relationship I had that provided a lot of support. I am trying to give myself a break at times, but it’s hard and I find myself isolating myself as I seem to be a downer to everyone that wants to talk about the good things in their lives. Also i get accused of not doing enough when I am not sure what else can be done. Thanks for the vent.

@hopeforson , I hope good things will happen soon. You have had a rough time with number of things including no job. I hope your son gets better and hope he can avoid jail time if you can talk to the judge as long as the Lawyer you have helps. Yes, I understand he is not able to attend college now, but hope he will once he gets better. My son quit college for few years and when he came to live with us, he started college after 9 months of being with us. There is hope even when We feel helpless and feel anxious. Please contact your local NAMI and county assistance. Hope your son gets SSI OR SSDI and Medicaid. Good luck and keep us posted. Sending you positive thoughts as well.

My son no longer lives with me but refuses meds.
It’s easier to not see the psychosis every day but I know the 911 call is coming soon.
I mourn for who he was, but hold out hope that one day he will take meds. To me that will be my miracle.
We do what we can but even when court ordered on meds, you cannot keep an adult on meds unless they agree. I live in NY and my son has his renewed for 2 years. but they dropped him as soon as they saw how well he was doing.
I isolate too, but I joined NAMI and made 2 good friends.
My son is a college grad but never used his education. Today it doesn’t matter as much. I just want him stable. I still hate going to weddings but I’m working on that… Thinking of you.
linda

I work with mental illness in a nursinghome and come home to my son. I fight for rights of mentally ill in nursinghomes. I am not burned out I am cremated.