My son is schizophrenic and I'm Bipolar

Thank you for the heads up. I apreciate it. I suck at spelling and wrote it that way because it takes me for ever to write that word. Now I know.

TAG, thats wonderful. I hope my kid can start working someday. As I have learned a lot of people with decease dont have motivation, he goes to the gym then he just lays around. Today I learned a lot in this forum. thank you all for sharing, i will read the forums every day. :slight_smile:

Moved to the Family forum.

Pixel.
(Wearing moderator hat)

Your spelling in general is very good. For some reason your version of ‘disease’ seems telling to me.

yeah i know. English is my second language to me, I’ll try to spell better :slight_smile:

At certain stages of our lives we like to stay in our comfort zone and do things that are routine to us and familiar. We do stuff that we already know for sure that we can handle successfully and nothing more. This holds true for both schizophrenics and non-schizophrenics. Sometimes it can be a trap for someone. But at least he’s doing something that will break up the day instead of sitting around doing nothing. Going to the gym is better than nothing. And in a way, exercise is great therapy for us.

welcome Antonio… my son is also suffering from sz. he is 19. Its hard for some parents to deal with certain situations but support and understanding of their disease is what they need. Educating yourself will help you not only understand what/how they are feeling but also help you learn the best way to handle the different symptoms. Some books that were recommended to me: Surviving Schizophrenia, Complete Family Guide to Schizophrenia, Schizophrenia for dummies and a few others you can order these online too. Meetings might help you and your family. I start on March 3rd. NAMI

As I said, your spelling in general is very good. Sometimes there is one word that trips us up. For me it’s forest. I’ve wanted to spell it forrest since my ‘nature days’ back in college.

Being bipolar yourself can make you a better parent to him now. You are a lot more understanding of him than many family members.

Hello Hatty. You hit it right on the nail. My condition made us get closer. We ask each other if we have taken our meds and all that. Every Sunday we sit at the back of the house and talk about anything, and our issues. He feels closer to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like