My son s illness is the main focus of my life

Thank you and I’m so pleased to hear you were lucky . It was absolutley horrifying !! First to see my son going through his first (and please GD last ) episode and then seeing how the officers pull him down and abuse him like that . It was traumatising for my son and for me . It felt i was inside a horror movie , it was surreal !

1 Like

Interesting you say that as i believe even if they don’t admit it ,that in time they somehow realise bits and pieces of their madness . My son did some great paintings almost 2 years ago and a few days ago i was looking up psychosis and on that particular site i couldn’t believe what i saw , it was the exact painting that my son copied from that site and that is proof for me that he has been looking up and reading about psychosis even though he will never talk about it .

3 Likes

My husband finally requested medication from his psychiatrist earlier this week and has been taking it on his own for four days now.

He has come up with some very creative ways, I think, of reconciling pieces of information that do not make sense to him. As far as I can tell, his thought process goes something like this.

1. I am not mentally ill and I don’t need medication.
  2. My problems are due to surveillance that originates with my co-workers.
  3. My wife and family think I should continue to see my psychiatrist and take medication.
  4. I trust my family (and to some degree my wife) to have my best interests at heart.
  5. If they are advising me to take medication, it must be to protect me and/or them.
  6. Therefore, if I refuse to take medication, this will somehow give power to my enemies and put my wife and family in danger.
  7. I love my family and my wife, so I will take medication to keep everyone as safe as possible.

So does he understand at a subconscious level that he is experiencing symptoms of thought disorder?

It is impossible to know for certain, but I guess I believe that at a certain level, most likely he does.

He certainly could come up with other chains of internal logic to support a different conclusion (e.g. my family have been replaced by aliens that sound like them, so they are not really my family and they are trying to harm me by making me take medication).

1 Like

Hey ! your guess is as good as mine but what we really need to focus on is getting them to take and stay on their meds and keep them out of hospital . My son used to paint aliens , always made me wonder . Try stay positive and make seem that all is normal at home , it kind of works . When my son says things like , mum i need a salad and a soup from Olive House to help keep my muscles so they won’t shrink again (strange i know ) then i would reply saying , if you think that helps then go buy some . I don’t question him and he seems calm and content .

2 Likes

It’s hard to act normal when his primary stress at home is whether or not I am working against him.

If he’s in an OK place and I get a phone call, it’s OK, but if he’s not, then it’s one of the conspirators contacting me.

Or if I’m leaving for work and a neighbor happens to be pulling out at the same time, he may be worried about me (that they are going to follow me and harass me) or he may get angry with me because I set it up. Keeps me on edge and makes things at home definitely not normal.

Thus my recent renting of my own space when I need some down time.

As my husband used to say (before he got paranoid about using the word paranoia), “Paranoia will annoy ya!”

1 Like

I hope and pray once the meds kicks in for your husband life will get a little easier , the paranoia should get less distressing for him , hang in there !

1 Like

My son was diagnosed in 2013 when he had his first psychotic break. It hasn’t gotten easier for me at all! I’m completely devastated for him! He is the main focus of my life and I have a beautiful daughter too and twin grandchildren six years old, a boy and a girl and yet, I obsess and worry and cry so much over him.

6 Likes