Needing advice

Hi everyone I have a partner who has paranoid delusional sz who I assume is relapsing, his stopped sleeping at night as he sees Demons and things of such to the point he says he has had one climb up to his waist and his kicked it away he had said he knows its not really there but contradicts that by saying well I don’t know maybe its real and I can see what others can’t I’ve told him he needs to go back on medication but he refuses his become a different person talks about wanting to be bad and the monster is winning and he loves it how can I approach him about medication so he gets help before he ends up hospitalised which he has said is going to happen and that’s why I can’t get him to go to a psyc with me sorry if my post is all over the place not used to trying to explain what’s happening with this kind of thing

Hi,

We have some information on this issue - I recommend you read up:

Generally - you want to not challenge him about his delusions - but rather focus on helping him get back the things that he wants in his life that he can’t have when he’s delusional. That might be the sleep, etc. - and use that as a point of entry into the health system again. For example “Not sleeping must be really hard - lets go see the doctor tomorrow and see if he can help”…

What are the odds of two people joining the site at the same time and choosing the names “confused” and “confused1”?

Are you both the same person?

Thanks admin reading through now many thanks

No no I can see the confusion with the name which I realised after another user commented about when I joined but i am not the same person am I able to change my name to help remove the problem?

Or is there a way admin could possibly clarify that we are in fact different people so my chances of receiving valid advice isn’t hampered by the pure coincidence please

Welcome to the forum Lepidocrocite.

Preventing a relapse when the person refuses to stay on medications is unfortunately an uphill battle. My son was diagnosed in 2011. He is 20. After 6 hospitalizations he is currently taking his anti-psychotics. How long he will continue to take them is currently up to him. From day to day, I don’t know.

Since you have researched I won’t list all the links I usually list but these may help with communication.

http://www.leapinstitute.org/ - under resources are free videos on using LEAP
LEAP is a way of communicating to build trust. Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner.
http://dramador.com/ - Dr. Xavier Amador is a clinical psychologist whose brother had schizophrenia. He is the founder of the LEAP Institute. Wrote the book: I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help! Can buy from his website.
Search Xavier Amador and LEAP on youtube.com and you should find some long videos

As SzAdmin suggested try talking to him with respect to symptoms that you can both recognize and agree on that he may need help with. With my son it is mostly anxiety. We can both agree that he has problems coping with this and that insomnia can also be a concern. Schizophrenia aside we all need a good nights sleep. Maybe a sleep aid could help him to ignore the demons long enough for him to sleep. I’m guessing that he says that the demons don’t exist because he knows that no one else can see them. That doesn’t change the fact that he is seeing and feeling them. My son seems to identify with his symptoms while experiencing them and good or bad, does not seem to have a problem with them. They are a part of him. Perhaps your partner is identifying with the monster because he does not feel that he can fight it. We all have good and bad thoughts and feelings and honestly there are times when focusing on the negative ones can feel good. Like telling someone off in your head. It feels good.

I have a theory about combating the negative with love but putting that into practice is a lot easier said then done. Try to help him to see that the love that you guys share is worth fighting the monster for. You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t care. I also try to talk to my son about the science behind the medications. Targeting neurotransmitters not trying to fix him or change his beliefs. I love him regardless of what he choices to believe in.