New book about marijuana use, mental illness, and violence

I went to an author presentation for a new book titled, Tell Your Children the Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence, by Alex Berenson. His main thesis is that in people with serious mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, marijuana use can lead to violence.
Very interesting talk. My family member with sz doesn’t use, as far as I know, but he did decades ago while a college student. I’m reading the book now and will be interested to see how he presents his case.

1 Like

Hi @Katherine . Did you see the other thread on this book?

I personally think that many things trigger sz, we all have such varied stories.

Hello! Yes, thank you I saw it after I posted this one. I read the book and I agree with you. I also think that sometimes people with sz tend to use in order to self medicate, then it can become a downward spiral. But at least let’s hope the book sparks some interest in the research or academic industries to gather more accurate data and get more information. It does seem that the effort to legalize mj is being triggered by those who believe they can make money from it.

1 Like

I do agree that it seems the effort to legalize mj is triggered by those who can make money from it. However, that applies to a lot of things in life: it may be why sz research itself isn’t that broadly done. So many affected can’t see their illness, so can’t take meds that might help. Med research costs a tremendous amount and takes years to finally get a result. If sales of the medicine don’t occur, the research costs will never be recovered… vicious circle.

1 Like

I agree. One of my stepsons wanted mj legal. He sold it illegally but once it became legal he went out of business. Just a comment.

1 Like