New to the forum

I am new here. My son was diagnosed about a year or so ago. He has been doing ok since they finally found a med that helps him. However, he is only 19 and has already lost two jobs. He called me today, after working for less than a week, part time, and was crying and told me the stress of it was so overwhelming to him that he was getting suicidal thoughts. I was able to calm him down and get him back on the right track and got him to see his therapist. I know this is a life long battle, but I plan to be by his side no matter what he needs.

I am beginning to think he might not be able to work because of his illness… I thank goodness I found this site and hope to spend more time around here!!

Check into the possibility of getting him on Social Security. It will help a great deal if he can’t work.

I am actually working on that. I have already put calls in to his doctors to get medical records so we can be prepared for all the other paperwork we will have to go through… Thank you for the reply…

When I was young my mother wasn’t aware that I could get on Social Security, we didn’t know much about mental illness either. It was pretty rough for many years before I eventually got on Social Security.

i have always worked but i understand how he is feeling.
he is lucky to have a caring mum, good on you.
take care

jobs are different and he and you should choose a job which suits him, there is many meds for curing SZ which have different effects and also side effects, most of torture he feels I think is because of lack of motivation and clarity of mind, talk to his psychiatrist about these problems and he may prescribe him another med for SZ or an antideppressant, 1 year is not a long time for finding the right med, they are dramatically different and can give your son motivation and clarity of mind to able him to work, the best med for such symptoms that I know is clozapine but for sure you should consult his psychiatrist.

My son is 19. Diagnosed in 2011 with paranoid SZ. Welcome to the forum. You are not alone. For now working is probably not a good idea. Recovery can be a slow process so he will need time to adjust to everything.

A mom like us:

She also has a Facebook page: Redirecting...

Another mother’s website

Some other sites you may find helpful:
http://www.leapinstitute.org/ - under resources are free videos on using LEAP
LEAP is a way of communicating to build trust. Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner.
http://dramador.com/ - Dr. Xavier Amador is a clinical psychologist whose brother had schizophrenia. He is the founder of the LEAP Institute. Wrote the book: I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help! Can buy from his website.

If you search youtube for Xavier Amador and LEAP you will find some long videos. LEAP can be a great communication tool.

Just yesterday someone (sorry forget who) posted a video called Schizophrenia. It’s a professor giving a lecture at Stanford University. A great video on the science of what is happening in the brain. Probably in the News section.

Everybody’s is different and every case of schizophrenia is different. I got diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at age19 in1980. For the next 2 1/2 years I suffered terribly and went through hell. At one point I was hospitalized in a locked psychiatric hospital for 8 months.There is NO WAY I could have worked during that period. But when I was 22 I got a job and I have worked almost steadily (albeit mostly part-time) since. I’ve had a couple jobs that I kept for 4 years each and a couple where I lasted 3 years each. I’ve quit jobs, been fired from several. My current job is as janitor. It’s not a bad job and I have been there 3 1/2 years. Like other people mentioned, recovery is a slow process and often a lifetime process. You and your son MAY have to face the fact that he is not able to work at this time. That just may be the way it is. Sometimes with some things, you just can’t force the issue no matter if the desire is there. It is proven that people with schizophrenia who have family support have a better prognosis. Good luck. Just because he is not able to work now doesn’t mean he can’t work in the future. It’s admirable that he tried at this point, though. People can collect SSDI and work at the same time. I do.

Hello Blondie, I agree with Malvok – look into getting your son on SSI. He may be rejected the first few times but don’t give up. Your son may not be able to work right now and it may take some time for your son to feel stable. My daughter is not able to work but her partner who has schizophrenia does have a full time job. This is a new development for him and he absolutely LOVES working. He is over 30 years old and has finally managed to get his illness under control. It hasn’t always been that way for him but he is okay now and very high functioning. I do believe my daughter will eventually be able to work, however right now is not a good time for her. She has two children and it’s almost more than she can manage but with my help she is doing pretty well raising her two kids.