Newbie - 19 year old son diagnosed a year ago

Hello @Bad2Dad . Welcome to this site. I am happy that you found it. Yes, dealing with a family member who is experiencing psychosis is very hard, and most people in regular life will not understand or be able to offer sensible help. Although coworkers and church members want to help, psychosis is not well understood by “normal” families, and even some psychiatrists don’t deal a lot in psychosis.

You should probably start your own thread newly, this thread is over 6 years old and the persons on it may not be active anymore. By making a new thread and introducing yourself, you might get more answers.

When my daughter first became ill, I had no idea how to find help. This forum is a VERY good place to come and read and get helpful ideas from others who know exactly what you are going through. So come back here often, daily, or even several times a day for compassion from others who understand.

Read the book by Dr. Amador “I’m not Sick, I Don’t Need Help”. I read it several times and started with small baby steps to use the LEAP process in the book to communicate with my daughter.

You could maybe call your closest NAMI, I’m not sure if they operate in Canada, but the people in NAMI also have experience with psychosis and like to help others.

Understand that MOST people with schizophrenia or serious BiPolar with psychosis do NOT understand that they are mentally ill. It is called anosognosia. I cried when I found out what anosognosia was. How can someone accept help for their illness when they don’t think they are ill?

My daughter was hospitalized 5 times involuntarily before she stayed on a medicine that worked for her. My 6 year journey with her illness has been calm for the last 3 years thanks to involuntary hospitalization and involuntary monthly medication injections. But we took it one step at a time from my having to learn what psychosis was, to making adjustments in our home to give her (and us) safe spaces to live in separately, to calling the police every single time she acted out in a threatening behavior to get her involuntary holds in psych wards, to speaking to the judge the 2nd time she was arrested out in town to ask for a court order for her to be medicated. It was a long tiring journey, but I had great success at last, which not everyone is so lucky to have. I wish you well in your journey.

1 Like