Repeal the Medicaid IMD Exclusion

There’s a mental health crisis in America – one of unnecessary pain, suffering and death on an unprecedented scale. And the inaccessibility of inpatient treatment is making matters worse.

The National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems (NAPHS) and Treatment Advocacy Center (TAC) believe that everyone struggling with mental illness and substance use disorders deserves appropriate, medical care when it’s needed most.

Many Americans with serious mental illness are also Medicaid recipients. But, an outdated and discriminatory Medicaid law, known as the Institutions for Mental Diseases exclusion (IMD exclusion), stands in their way of treatment, making it illegal for facilities to receive federal reimbursement for providing care to non-elderly adults in need of inpatient psychiatric care and substance use services. It effectively denies our loved ones life-saving care and the hope of recovery.

Congress and the President can – and should – repeal it, now!

This issue has bipartisan appeal in both houses, so there’s real hope for making this important change happen with your support!

Sign our petition and help give more people who need it A Bed Instead.

Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) called the IMD exclusion “a policy that makes it extremely difficult for states to provide inpatient care to those with mental illness and substance use disorders.”
A Washington Post analysis said repealing the IMD exclusion would be “a quick and simple way President Trump could immediately help Americans.”
New Jersey Governor Christie, the chair of the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, called the IMD exclusion “old-fashioned, antiquated and ridiculous

http://cqrcengage.com/treatmentadvocacycenter/app/sign-petition?2&engagementId=420693

1 Like

Is this what just happened? I saw something in the news.

I don’t really get too involved in politics, or I haven’t, as it is hard to understand for me. I haven’t followed this law, but anything that makes it hard to treat serious mental illness sounds bad.