Son diagnosed with schizophrenia refuses to believe

Hi notmoses. What do you mean by a professional intervention?

Mental health professional (usually a nurse, counselor, therapist or psychologist specifically trained in Motivational Interview Technique) meets with the identified patient to move them upwards from denial / pre-contemplation through contemplation / consideration to at least identification / acceptance and maybe even commitment / action.

Human beings are a primitive minded little bunch. At this point in intellectual evolution, truth is still not considered to be much more truthful than is a “belief”. This is the case, even though one is only dependent upon a belief if one is located at a distance from the truth in the first place, and thus one is still located within a zone of “less than truth”.

My guess is that 500 to 1,000 years need pass by before mankind in general can handle the truth concerning schizophrenia. If the truth got out today, it could cause a global panic. After all, the people of today are still discussing simple amusing things such as Aliens, Gods, Devils, life elsewhere in the universe, etc. In other words, they are still located at a massive distance from the bigger truth.

So for the time being, people will continue, in a fraction of a second, to “believe” that schizophrenia symptoms are nothing but the result of a mental illness. This is the best that people can handle at this time.

So times are rough for the schizophrenia victims. They are very close to something that the rest of the world has never even heard of, and then this is followed with the cruel cruel act of the schizophrenia victims being told that it is all in their head, thus the finger is pointed at them alone. In turn, a mere human ends up handling a responsibility concerning something that is so huge it makes the size of the universe itself look like the size of a speck of dust.

So it is easy for the others to just say that the schizophrenics are experiencing delusions and hallucinations that are the creation of nothing but the brain, and that gets the “others” off the hook. The schizophrenic can come to the same conclusion as well, but do so out of desperation.

Thanks notmoses, I’m in Australia and I’ve not heard of these people. I will ask my Psychiatrist about it today. I don’t want to be involved in a involuntary admission, at this stage.

My son would agree with you INTROBC

Deb,

Australia has one of the world’s best early psychosis treatment centers (and I think they have offices around Austrlia - though not sure how many). If I were you I’d call them, talk to them about your problem and see what you can do:

Here is their web site:

http://oyh.org.au/

Thank you so much notmoses. I may be able to get into another private hospital, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. He will have to agree to take medications offered him and refrain from aggressive behaviour. I hope he will agree. Intervention and involuntary admission is my last port of call. Whether or not I’m doing the right thing, only time will tell. I know it’s important to get him out of psychosis sooner rather than later. I found out today from my psychiatrist that my son’s psychiatrist had no right refusing to see him until he is hospitalised between 2 and 6 weeks. Apparently, it is his duty of care to refer him to another psychiatrist before ending his relationship with my son. That’s interesting! Thanks for the information

“Thanks”… you may find this thread of interest:

I’ve been to the thread ‘In the back of a cop car’. Sounds pretty scary but somewhat necessary at times. I would hate to have to call the police on my son. Where is the dignity and respect that people who are unwell deserve!