Son won't take meds...recovering from psychosis

Barbie my son was on this shot for quite some time. We found that the shot never lasted the full 30 days, and we began supplementing with pills, in the last week. I also found others that had the same experience, one of my nami friends said their dr told them it didn’t last the full 30 days. I have an old post that breaks down the amount.

We may be switching to oral invega. I like what I see but my son hates the shot and going through this every month won’t help him.

We usually notice quite a decrease in the last 7 days. Always needing a full oral dose on the last 5 days. he was on 156. We tried upping the dose, back down and supplementing, and finally surrendered to oral. he did much better. Its a good medicine. But its so new and expensive, I don’t think pd;s have alot of patients on it, or experience with it yet.

it sounds very promising. I’m so glad for both of you.

I didn’t want to take my meds at first because i didn’t like the side effects and they don’t work right away. It is easy to get frustrated when you see no improvements and a lot of side effects on top of it. Some people have learned to control their delusions without medication but i do feel a lot better on mine. Some people also feel safer in their delusions than reality and it may be a comfort to him to have them. I would suggest a lot of support in what will no doubt be a very long journey. If he is not a danger than there is no way to force him to take medication. I hope you are both able to find some peace.

I am 72 years old and was diagnosed at age 28.

In my 44 years experience I can only say good nutrition and mega vitamins allowed me to get by on less medication. On one hand I cannot live on medication alone, on the other I cannot survive on nutrition alone. But, for me, there was a balance that has allowed me to be successful with a zest for living.

You could try offering your son a chelated magnesium supplement for starters, if I am right, it will forever change his outlook.

And remember, as Dr Abram Hoffer used to say, “a cured schizophrenic is a schizophrenic who pays taxes”. It is not about getting off meds, that does not work! It is about a healthy body that requires less meds. Been there, done that :slight_smile:

Good luck.

2 Likes

HI

I’m desperate at this point. Days after his court order expired he went off meds. Slowly he began drinking again. Now the girl he lives with his leaving due to his abuse when drinking and psychotic. In the past I would’ve just put him in the hospital but he hated the court order and it did nothing for his lack of insight, which he may never have.

Do I step out of the way, let him lose the apt? or intervene for another court order? Now he is smoking pot since I put an interlock device in his car. He works 3 days a week and even attends a program one day, but they don’t see the aggressiveness. Any ideas

Ahard thing to say, but since he is living on his own, I would step out of the way. My son has done the same thing. Right now, he is living on his own. I sometimes think I may have made things worse by stepping in so much.
If my son were to lose everything this time-I would have to close my eyes. Hes blamed everything on everyone. I really want to let him figure this out now. Youre son may have more insight than you know.
Yes-let him find his way.

Hi Karl. I’m just wondering how you mean it is spiritual in nature? Just tying to understand your perspective. Thanks !