Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Taking Another Look at Clozapine

We can both be thankful for these things. There IS hope!! It’s still like walking on eggshells, but at least our son is pleasant to be around and he is interactive. I was surprised that he opted to stay at his home for New Year’s Eve and has not pressed us to come to our home or to come visit him this week. We have plans to go see him this weekend. He has really good friends (from college, that also visited him recently at our home) coming to visit him at his “home” this weekend so he did not want to leave. These friends are saints. Now that he has started socializing a bit (he also went briefly to another small gathering hosted by a high school friend and connected with a third friend there), it will be interesting to see if and how he is able to sustain those friendships. His former friends are in their careers or pursuing higher education. But he also seems to be comfortable with many of the people at his “home” who are experiencing mental illness.

Our hope at this point is for counseling to help bring about insight. We have a highly recommended counselor scheduled to meet our son (AT his residence, so I don’t have to transport!!) next week.

It’s good to have all info out on the table, so to speak, so thanks for sharing. I’m sorry that Clozapine did not work for your daughter, but glad that another AP and other meds are proving helpful! I hope that she continues in a good direction and perhaps that additional tweaking of meds will help with the mood swings. Stay hopeful!

Hi Pally,

So glad you finally got him on Clozapine. My son was on about 800 mg of Seroquel when he first started Clozapine. The Dr. slowly titrated the Seroquel down with each increment he increased the Clozapine. My son is on 500 mg of Clozapine so it may take a little while for you to see significant improvement. My son has been on it for a year and is continuing to improve. You have to patient with it but it works so long as he checks out on his labs.