Time to test my DBT skills.....for the Holidays

Catherine, I’m so glad it went well. Your new skill set is amazing and you never know how it might impact your sister. I hope she does hear your calmness and messages. It’s a healthier way of communicating and allowed you to make your point instead of just taking it and feeling horrible. Great job.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mom2, I must admit I felt myself “cracking” at the seams a few times, my eyes would begin to roll, my voice would start to have sarcastic tone and I just froze and distracted myself by focusing on the mountain of dishes I had created from cooking…feeling the warm water run over my hands was weirdly soothing. My sz son was a rock and I was never more grateful for his presence than I was yesterday, he was unmoved by my sister’s 8 hour emotionally charged monologue. Did you have a good day?

2 Likes

Yes I did. It was different than I expected but good nonetheless. I’m from a large family and this year a couple of my nieces had their little ones running around. My husband got up and announced that he didn’t feel like going and was staying home. He suggested that our son stay home since he was not doing very well. My son came down around the time I was leaving and announced he’d like to go but he decided a week ago that he didn’t need his medicine any longer. So his voices were taking over and my husband just said to go ahead and go out and stay as long as I like since I have a sister from Denver in that I had not seen for a year.

So I drove out and I have to admit did have some conversations with cousins that I haven’t had in years. My husband said that her son really didn’t even mention going out and didn’t appear to be disappointed in the least. I was so guilty that I turned around twice even though it would’ve made me late only to be reassured and my husband that it was best that he stay home.

Without my husband’s support it would’ve been very difficult to handle him the whole day and driving the hour and a half to and from would’ve been highly unpredictable. He normally doesn’t like to stay very long either. But last night he took half of his pill on his own so I have to think that’s some progress.

So this weekend we’ll have a Thanksgiving dinner with our family. PS I want to be like you when I grow up😊

2 Likes

@Mom2 You are so sweet. I am a constant work in progress. No matter how well I write just know that even with my successes, I struggle every day in one way or the other. Some days are just easier than others. I am so happy that you have your husband’s support and that you got to have some time to converse with your cousins. I hope that a half of a pill is a sign of progress. My best to you and big hugs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes