Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Triggered memories and empathy

Im sorry to hear that , i totally understand what you are going through , i thought maybe its worse for me as he is not his biological father but i guess it doesnt matter … one day at a time , hang in there … im trying too . In one way i want my son home but on the other hand apart from the stress from my husband , my son is very demanding and rude and bullying to live with and we get on much better him living out . I put him in an apartment 5 min from me that way i keep an eye on him from a distance, as he comes to me a few times a week and i go to him too .

1 Like

I’m sure you worry 24/7, it’s so tough @ Linda I’m sorry you have an extra burden with your husbands son having MI. Having your son live away does at least give you some respite, does he generally manage to look after himself, or do you visit regularly?

He looks after himself but i have to remind him and bribe him to clean his room , shower etc …and i also cook for him or give him money to buy food . I pray and wish our kids well and hope for a drug miracle for them … going to bed , good night for now and hope you have a peaceful week

1 Like

It is all we can do…

1 Like

I don’t think any person can very easily wrap his/her head around this illness. Learning and sharing with others in similar situations is the helpful. And each parent or family member has their own experience in the journey and we should respect that. So maybe there is something your husband (in this situation) would read about SZ, or maybe he’d be willing to go to a family support group and hear what other dad’s are experiencing. And on the “mom” side of things, I agree it is hard to separate the rest of my life from this journey. But it is not healthy to be immersed in it all the time. We have to take physical, mental, and emotional breaks for our own benefit as well as to be healthy enough to continue to care for our loved ones with SMI and our families.

1 Like