What is the hardest part of having a child with schizophrenia?

Sherry. So sorry for this tragic turn. We’ve been consumed recently with weather problems. Any updates?

Sandy, are you doing okay for power and water?

Thinking you mean ‘Sando’! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We’re doing ok but it’s crazy. -2 degrees yesterday was a record. Lots of people with no power. We have a few extra guests! Fortunately our power has stayed on. Dallas nor Texas are ready for this type of sustained Snowmaggedon!!!

1 Like

Sorry- missed the auto correct :+1: yes,l @Sando

We have a houseful as well - so much for Covid when people might freeze. We have been lucky the low here was 15 so far.

Freezing temperatures creates Covid crystals that drop to the ground and shatter. You just have to sweep them up with a HEPA filtered broom and dispose of them at midnight in a lead-lined bag buried in a cemetery. At least that’s what I heard somewhere… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am so sorry you are suffering. Big hugs.

This is how it started with our son. He had recently began smoking pot very heavily and doing a lot of acid. We haven’t been sure if it was the drug use that caused this or if it was something that was going to happen anyway. April will be a year since this nightmare began. He recently refused to go see his psychiatrist and has become homeless. I know exactly how you feel. Not only do we have to grieve what is happening to our child, there is essentially nothing we can do to help them when they are adults that don’t want to (or can’t) help themselves.

2 Likes

Yeah, Im pissed he would even want to do acid at the age of 26 with a good job, his own apartment but now is off work due to the injuries he had from the car accident he had. he is on meds and seems to be somewhat better, he is welcoming psychiatrist support. He is living in the house next door to me and my husband but it’s been tough on all of us. I am not sure if it was the drugs or was to happen anyway either. I hope your son will get the help he needs, It is heartbreaking.

1 Like

My 19 year old went on a MAJOR marijuana binge late in 2019, which seemed in line with what we now identify as his Prodromal period. His first major episodic break occurred about 12 months later. He’s been diagnosed with SZ by four different clinical psychologists. Much of what we’ve learned is the drug-use often starts during Prodromal period as the patient attempts to ‘self-medicate’ the confusion, delusions, ‘frequencies’ (my son’s descriptor) that bombard them.

It is true that that the street drugs could have been laced with something that triggered the SZ, or accelerated it. And it appears in some instances that an otherwise mentally healthy person can have SZ symptoms following bad drug use (the cause, not just a trigger to an eventual illness).

In our case, we already had a challenging situation. Anger outbursts. Perseveration big time. ADHD. Dyslexia. Socially collapsing into his cave of 1 friend who has since disappeared. So to say ‘we never imagined something else could be going on!’ would be to ignore dozens of prior counselors and experts who said ‘there’s something else going on here, but it’s too early to diagnose’.

My encouragement to you is not to focus on ‘the reason’ (ie, finding someone or something to blame). It’s impossible to know 100%.

Focus on treatment, finding the right medication mix, and coping skills for your child AND for you. Join the NAMI 12-week orientation for caregivers in your area. Read these posts and forum for other helpful resources. The sooner you can get out of your funk of ‘we don’t know what happened’ (it’s a normal phase of the acceptance process!!), then the sooner you can reclaim your new reality.

Big love to all we 1%’s who never give up, never give in. Even when we live in Texas and have no power, and no water! Just adds a little twist to an otherwise chaotic adventure. :slight_smile: Onward.

6 Likes

Our son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was younger but never had any hyperactivity at all, just inability to pay attention. He was on Ritalin during elementary school but once in middle school he complained of not liking the way it made him feel so we took him off if it. (Not really sure if it ever helped). As far as behavior he was a good kid, never got into any trouble, just didn’t listen or follow directions. We were incredibly frustrated by this and in hindsight feel extremely bad about giving him such a hard time about it now that we realize it likely wasn’t his fault. He also had a tendency to misunderstand everything, or take things the wrong way. The only other thing was that he had night terrors from a very young age. Almost every night he would walk in his sleep. We expressed concern to his pediatrician and they did a sleep study but it didn’t show anything. That actually stopped though after he was around 16 so we though he had just finally grown out of it.

Ultimately, we can look back and now recognize that there were some signs that were there that we could have mistaken for normal rebellious teenage behavior. Like you said, we will never know. I guess I’m still in the bargaining/denial stage, hoping that if it was drugs that maybe, just maybe, it won’t be permanent. I know that it is, but fully accepting that is almost too much to take. The problem with going through the stages of grief in this situation is that I’m not sure you ever actually complete them. I’m afraid they are just an endless cycling of constant heartache.

2 Likes

Sando and any others who are dealing with the Polar Vortex, take care of yourself and hopefully you can check in from time to time. If there’s any way for those of you to make the best of the weather situation, I hope you take the time to do so. Go snow sledding, make snowballs, snow/ice carving, etc. Really, just take care of yourselves - a friend of mine in Montana was at -23 but honestly, she is probably more prepared for that than the people of Texas have been. Stay safe! :palm_tree:

1 Like

I understand the denial and the desire to look back and second guess all the observations made. Don’t ! Nothing prepares you for this - short of significant family history. Just try to enjoy the child you have now with right sized expectations! Lots of prayers and peace!

6 Likes

Knowing that he can’t enjoy simple things most people his age rage for granted. Like he would love to have a girlfriend but couldn’t manage it.
So you know what I did for him today? And this is not something I would ever do normally - I took him to Hooters for lunch. Lol Our waitress was very nice yet scantily clad. He laughed when I said “Don’t say I never do anything for you. I took you to Hooter’s!” Lol
Life will never be normal again. I go with the flow.

3 Likes

This is a wonderful story. Enjoy every minute you can.

A friend of mine’s wife would take their kids to Hooters. It was win-win, the kids would get doted on and her husband (who was an ogler since we were teenagers) would get a show. The food reportably isn’t that bad, but I wouldn’t know. Aside from the uniforms she felt it was a family-friendly and cheerful place.

OMG, the Hooters story cracked me up!

That’s what happened to our son he is 27 years old. I’m not sure if his mushroom,marijuana and lsd caused or just triggered the sch. He is hoping going back to his welding job will help. He is on meds but says he still hears voices all the time unless he’s occupied doing projects. I’m crossing my fingers. We love him so much and are doing all we can do to help him. This is a very scary illness and I’m sad and worried most days but trying to remain positive :heart:

1 Like

Wait. Hooters waitstaff are scantily clad?? I never knew. Just enjoyed their wings and cold beer… :star_struck:

2 Likes

I totally understand this too. It occurred to me recently that this is, in fact, like a death. But it is going to go on forever. Where did my boy go? (36y/o). It is just so sad and I can think of not one thing worse because there isn’t one single bit of help. (referring to those who refuse medication).

The heart break - followed by resignation unbearable sadness and some days light as I Accept the sons he has become.