Why does my son wear winter clothes in the summer and summer clothes in the winter?

My son wears hoodies, sweats and sock hats in the summer…he used to be GQ, now he’s more mountain man…he’s on Invega Trinza 4 times a year.

1 Like

My husband w paranoid sz dressed similarly. Shorts inside in the winter–which, I kinda get if your house or apt is overheated. But then he would often overdress in layers in Summer. Think he once said something about not wanting to feel exposed.

1 Like

My son (17) does the same thing! I ask him “aren’t you hot?” His response in an annoyed voice, “No, Mom, I’m not hot.” It has been hovering close to 100 degrees here and humid. He is very hot natured anyhow (used to refer to him as my little heater when he was little), so I can’t understand how he wouldn’t swelter in the hoodies and sweatpants. I’ve since learned just to leave him alone about it. He wears the same clothes for days in a row and he also does not like to wear underwear. Gave me a speech about how wearing underwear kills the sperm. So I just let it go.

1 Like

When my son bundles up in the summer, he also denies being hot. So if they’re wearing winter clothes in the summer so as not to be exposed? Then what’s the excuse for wearing summer clothes in the winter? LOL! See what I mean? My son has gone outside in winter weather in shorts and says he’s not cold. There is a thing called dysregulation of body temperature. I have to look that up again. I once read an article somewhere about the old asylums, before antipsychotic medication, and that people with Sz who were completely psychotic, however it’s correct to say, not to be offensive obviously, but that they could be operated on, like remove appendix, WITHOUT anaesthesia! They at some point didn’t feel pain! Ugh! How horrible. Our poor loved ones with this illness . . . .I’ve been crying all day for my son.

My son does the same thing! He wears hoodies and sweats in the summer. I don’t get it. When did your son get diagnosed? Mine has been 9 years.

1 Like

I am sorry, I’ve not been here in the forum for a long time. Too many reasons to explain and I’m just so tired of being sad. To answer your question, my son was diagnosed in January of 2013, he was 25. He still lives at home, has had another hospitalization July 2017, and at this point, he’s not doing very well, but we just don’t really know what to do for him :frowning: and he’s still not going anywhere or doing anything. I can’t imagine this will be his life for the rest of his life. So sad.

2 Likes

What medication is he on?

He’s on the monthly shot of Invega Sustenna. Then Paxil for anxiety was added. He also takes depakote, for what I’m not sure.

Depakote is for bipolar, it’s a mood stabilizer and is effective with mixed states.

Negative effects of sz are debilitating. Finding the right medication is the primary solution. I’m on invega too, it’s helped me but I still spend most my time in bed

1 Like

I havent been on this site lately but noticed your post. My stepson is the same. I gave up on trying to help him put it together it wasnt worth the argument and harsh words from him to me. This made me realize how sick his brain is. He would duck tape the souls onto his slippers which the souls were falling off, then continue to wear in a foot of snow and in shorts. Logic never worked either. It’s a sad illness for all involved.

2 Likes

A couple things come to mind here. Some medications make you photosensitive and prone to sunburn. I have a tendency to favor long pants and long sleeve in all sorts of weather because of this, as I’m prone to sunburn regardless and don’t like to have to remember to apply sunscreen. I vary the thickness of the fabrics, however.

I’m less sure about the shorts in winter situation, but I believe some medications can disrupt your temperature regulation, although I don’t recall experiencing this.

1 Like