Zyprexa vs anything else

Thanks for sharing your experience with Zyprexa Lirik and how you controlled your weight. Agreed, my son needs to eat healthier and stop going to fast food places. He has said that his appetite is insatiable. It (the cravings) has tapered off the longer he is on it, but he still tends to go for the “bad” stuff although we have lots of fruits and vegetables in our house. I hope you’re right, that it is his food choices and not Zyprexa itself that drives A1C and Tryglcerides up. It is frustrating because he used to be so active and athletic. Two years ago he was vegan, drinking large quantities of water and juicing. Since then he has been on a roller coaster of his prescribers finding the right med for him. He blames all the weight gain on antipsychotics and of course believes he doesn’t need them. It is helpful to hear success stories, so Thank you again!

Simple carbohydrates are not your friend when on AP medication. I concur that Zyprexia is especially bad for cravings. Best to eat like a diabetic with low glycemic index foods whenever possible. Fruit juice tends to be bad news as it has all the sugar and other carbs with little of the fiber. Water’s not so bad as it flushes out some blood sugar.

Whole fruits nuts and vegetables whenever you can, water and unsweetened tea and coffee are best. I even use lactose free milk, not because of intolerance, but for the reduced sugar. My Fitness Pal and other calorie counting apps help a lot with calorie counting. You can get to the point of gamifying weight loss.

1 Like

Agreed Maggotbrane! He got me into juicing almost 3 years ago. We split the cost of an Omega juicer. Generally we would just have this fresh pressed juice in the morning with breakfast. Natalia’s Green Lemonade

About 15 years ago my other son had bad acne, me pre-diabetes, and a friend had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer (given a year to live). Our friend went on a raw vegetarian diet plus juicing. He outlived his prognosis by 6 years. Our son with the acne wanted to try the raw foods diet, so of course our whole family did. My son’s acne cleared, I dropped 15 pounds and refeversed the pre-diabetes.

This was prior to my Sz son’s first major episode which was November 2018. Prior to starting Zyprexa in November 2019, he was at a good healthy weight. Prior to the episode he was almost fanatically into eating healthy vegan non processed foods. Never processed sugar or fast food. I’ve read since that a more Keto diet is good for Sz. So, we try to have plenty of nuts, vegetables, fruits, organic meats, eggs, and dairy in addition to whole grains. But, when the urge hits he is off to Taco Bell or Jack in the box. :confounded: Thank you for your suggestions!