An observation, am sorry if has been gone through before

Hello everyone, longtime reader and have submitted some posts as well regarding my situation although it is all too similar to so many here.

My son is in the right place at this time and called me yesterday. Why am I here? I do not have mental illness… Ok. I guess the observation is let’s say we had a perfect world. People with mental illness were housed and taken care of well and with dignity and appropriate medication. After a period of time that person of course says, I shouldn’t be here, I am fine. This is all because of YOU. This is not about money.
So, ok, well, you have the red carpet rolled out for you but are confused because you finally feel ok, albeit temporarily. The thought of the person afflicted is, I want out of here and to get a job and apartment, which has been tried 25 times in the past couple years with devastating effects. The crux of the matter it seems is until you kill someone or do something (again) so horrible, the state will not take your rights and FORCE you to live in a supervised environment. Yes this is tricky territory for sure. Is there a solution to this even if there was unlimited money/resources?

Anosognosia

Anosognosia, also called “lack of insight,” is a symptom of severe mental illness experienced by some that impairs a person’s ability to understand and perceive his or her illness . It is the single largest reason why people with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder refuse medications or do not seek treatment.

1 Like

Yes, anosognosia affects about 70 percent of those with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. My daughter’s anosognosia stayed with her until just recently, even after years of medication. Now she can look backwards and see the years that she was ill, where before she had no insight at all.

1 Like

That gives me hope for my daughter. Thank you.

1 Like