Anasognosia- How can I help someone who has no insight

How do I help my son who has Schizophrenia with Anasognosia. How can I help someone who has no insight. It’s so frustrating . Now his neighbors are complaining about his odd behavior , and his house. He breaks windows, etc. My husband tries to keep up with maintenance, but it’s getting hard. I’m afraid they will try to kick him out of neighborhood. Yesterday, once again, the crisis center and police had to come out. They were telling me about mental health court, to try to get court order for him to take medications. So we are going to try to do this. That’s another question, anyone any experience with this? Trying to hang in there. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi , and sorry you are all going through a hard time . My son has Anasognosia too . Almost 3 years ago He got arrested and i hired a lawyer to plea with the judge to get my son court ordered to take meds for one year . After that year he stopped his meds and went down hill and shortly after that with my help by telling him if he doesn’t take the meds he will end up back in hospital which he despised and that the reason for his meds is that he has a chemical inbalance . What i have learned is to never talk about his diagnosis( schizoaffective disorder) as he will flip out and curse .I learned the ‘LEAP’ way (a book ,i am not sick i don’t need help xavier amador) and educated my self with books , online , NAMI , audio books , you name it and i’m still learning . He takes meds every night but still has no insight . Hang in there, i know its not easy .

6 Likes

@Linda @Shallcro I agree with Linda don’t mention the diagnosis. I’ve learned that the diagnosis doesn’t matter the treatment of symptoms does. Labels bring stigma so I’ve stopped worrying about labels…court ordered treatment seems to be a lifesaver for a lot of people. I’m hoping it helps my love one. Maybe you can start with therapy with them? I wish I would have done that. Best of luck to you!

2 Likes

He refuses therapy. I need to reread the book

I will reread that book. I want him to take invega monthly injection. He was on that before. I can’t imagine making him take pills ever day

1 Like

What ever he agrees on , pills or injection . My son had one shot and he believes until this day that they injected poison in him and he is trying to sue them . I FaceTime every evening and watch him take his pills :pill:

1 Like

I was thinking if court ordered injections would be better. He’ll never agree to anything and I can’t imagine fighting with everyday with him.

2 Likes

Does your area have assisted out patient treatment? Call your local NAMI or local Behavioral Health. Does he suffer from high blood pressure, sleeping, or anything else? Sometimes they can prescribe and antipsychotic that treats more than one symptom or problem.

2 Likes

They do have out patient centers, about 45 minutes away. He has refused to go so far. I think my best route right now is trying to get a court order for meds.

I am so sorry. I know first hand. How old is your son? It is very difficult at least that has been my experience to get a court order for meds. The HIPPA laws work against people with Anosognosia and MI, it is harming them immensely. I hear repeatedly it is not against the law to be insane and unless they are in danger of themselves or others and dont ask for help themselves it will never happen.
I have a young man I unofficially adopted almost 9 yrs. ago, he is now 30. I have no legal rights, however have fought tooth and nail to get him help in any way I can. Because I am not his biological mother and he refuses help, insists he is not ill. I get next to no help. I also work with former foster youth and many challenged with MI so I know my resources and am still shocked at how little is done for MI, our jails are full of these people, getting very little help for their illness if any as that stupid law, we cannot force anyone to take medication. SERIOUSLY…
I cannot imagine if people dont even know who to call. My son has a criminal record as well (due to MI) and if he gets into any more trouble they will not hesitate to put in him jail but not insist he gets Mental Health help. He is on probation, I have a great relationship with his PO and FINALLY we got a judge with my constant hounding to PLEASE HELP request psychiatrist and if they deem he needs meds then we will see??? He will not cooperate with the Dr. and refuses to tell her anything, however he has been with the same therapist for years, she knows ALOT and has also encouraged anybody and everybody to HELP. She is also shocked at the lack of assistance with MI. We would never treat people with dementia like that, but we certainly do with Anosognosia and MI. I am amazed at how many people and caretakers are suffering from this craziness; lack of common sense and funding are making these people suffer needlessly. I have so much respect and empathy for the caretakers, I know first hand the roller coaster rides we are on every day, every minute. My hats are off to every one of you and so grateful you are there to help as best we can. BLESS YOU ALL!. My saying to myself over and over “Just Breath”

6 Likes

@2frustrated I couldn’t have said it better myself. If only MI were treated the same as dementia patients things would be sooo much easier and way less stigma. I think it would result in less crime and less homelessness. I hate the laws that work against mental illness!

3 Likes

My son is 29. Crisis center doesn’t even want to come out any longer. He’s such a frequent flier , but nothing enough to take him in. Today was hard. I recently had surgery on my foot, he came over as he does every day. I asked him if he could feed dogs, as it hurts me to get up. He yelled " stop bothering me" after a few words back and forth he , rushed past me and yelled
" FU$$KER". Its exhausting dealing with him. And I truly believe there is no good answer.

So sorry. I am familiar with the situation.
Where does he live at? I have learned that boundaries are very important to OUR salvation. If he cannot be nice, dont come over, if he starts being rude, ask him to leave. I do understand from 1st hand experience that nothing we do is right by them. One starts questioning themselves and then I am reminded; wait I am not the one who is being unreasonable here. The entire situation is exhausting. I am so sorry…

He lives within walking distance. But I think his community is going to be asking him to leave. My husband and I own the property. They will have to take it to court. But honestly. I don’t blame him. I have no idea what to do if that happens. If he wasn’t so destructive, it would be a different story. We are doing exactly what you said. He can’t come in until he apologizes to me. Thanks for input.