Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Any success stories? anyone recovered from sz?

Hi,
Has anyone recovered from this?

Thanks,

3 Likes

Recovered? Or lived a satisfying life while managing the illness?

2 Likes

E. Fuller Torrey in Surviving Schizophrenia says that 25% of schizophrenics fully recover. So, of the about 100,000 people diagnosed with sz each year in the U.S., about 25,000 will fully recover.

1 Like

Read my more recent posts here on this site, I feel like my sz son is as recovered as recovered can be…we are definitely 1000% better than when we started this journey so many years ago. It was super rough starting out and life is not “like everybody else” but he’s happy, sane, and easy to get along with. I’m happy for him. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Vallpen,
Both!
Thanks, xx

1 Like

I’m 14 years sane after 3.5 yrs total in psychosis over 15 years
I’ve had the odd sketchy half day since then
I exercise cook and housekeep living with my husband for 11 years
I’m happy

12 Likes

Thank you three. I’m happy for you. It gives me hope for my sister. Amen.

1 Like

I think the word recovery implies restoration. My daughter missed high school and college. Those things, with all the accompanying social development,
cannot be restored to her. That said, she is light years from our darkest days. She is building a life worth living.

7 Likes

There are many definitions of recovery in broad contexts, from economic, substance abuse, health and many others.

I think it’s important to consider that SZ and SZA are brain diseases that alter the brain and it’s functioning, and think of recovery as you would for people who’ve had strokes, brain tumors and other brain trauma. There’s a spectrum of outcomes and recovery is a life-long process not an endpoint, and even in a best case scenario such as mine, you are never quite the same.

But with hard work, effort and perseverance you can regain function and lead a satisfying life.

Edit: P.S. And luck, I forgot to mention luck. Some say you make your own luck, and to a degree I think it’s true.

10 Likes

Yes, in early 2016 the darkness swallowed my kind, loving daughter’s wonderful personality and turned her into an aggressive hermit. In Dec 2018, forced medication began her journey to a new life. I consider her pretty stably herself now. She is not the same as she was, she is a new kind, loving daughter with a nice personality she shares with me and others. She works as a cleaner in an assisted living home, watches a lot of TV, showers only when I remind her that it is time, sees her psychiatrist and takes her meds because they help her to work, and loves to go on car rides with me, and walks with the dogs. She doesn’t cook or clean but isn’t messy and likes what I make for her. We have a good relationship, perhaps better than “before”. I am very thankful.

8 Likes

@mmm61 Very glad to hear of this success - for it really is. Stay in the present with the good place she is now. You may both be sad about what has been missed but today things are good and you can build on that.

2 Likes

Recovery may mean different things to different people. I think recovery would be someone who is med compliant and has something meaningful in their life. If they are able to work then great, if not then hopefully they have meaningful relationships or things they do that bring happiness to them. When my love one was on meds he had a successful job and life was very good…

1 Like