Anyone els have a child that was diagnosed at 10 or close to same age?

Looking to be able to find others that have young children that have been diagnosed with mental illness and have anything in common to help better understand everything and how to cope and get through to the next day. Last few days have been pretty rough again for me even though my son seems to be doing ok. I think with Christmas right around the corner and having past memories go through my head and knowing things will never be the same as before is just too much at the moment and the thought of not knowing if things will get better or worse overtime just makes it that much harder.

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation. My daughter is 10 and is inpatient right now. Today’s my birthday. It’s the first time since she was born that we aren’t together on my birthday. I have been telling myself all day we’ll just celebrate it when she gets home but I haven’t been able to stop off and on crying.

I’m finding myself having to take things a moment at a time. If I think past right now my mind starts spinning in ways that I can’t stop. You’ll drive yourself to insanity going down that path. Trying to plan our your journey isn’t possible - you just have to take it one moment at a time. When the time comes to make decisions, do your research, try not to react emotionally, and make the best decision you can. It’s all anyone can do. The rest will be what it will be and we have zero control over that.

Just my humble opinion, for what it’s worth. Take a few deep breaths, focus on the here and now, and hopefully that will get rid of the rest of it, which is just your panicked mind creating noise.

1 Like

Patience, Planning and Practicing self awareness is the only way to make it…

Self-awareness is the key cornerstone to emotional intelligence, according to Daniel Goleman. The ability to monitor our emotions and thoughts from moment to moment is key to understanding ourselves better, being at peace with who we are and proactively managing our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.

1 Like